REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
JAN. 28, 2019
DISTRICT SERVICE CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:33 p.m. by Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies; Jeremy Snoberger, vice chair; Pamela Raden, clerk; Amanda Byrd, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Patrick Marushin, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-D AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Dec. 17, 2018
Minutes of the board organizational meeting held on Jan. 7, 2019
b. Checks in the amount of $3,642,302.14 as presented:
General Fund 3,110,045.21
Food Service Fund 203,581.20
Transportation Fund 171,078.52
Community Service Fund 64,404.77
Capital Expenditure Fund 93,091.10
Summer Rec Agency Fund 101.34
Check numbers 174064 – 174476
ACHs in the amount of $3,975.43 as presented:
General Fund 3,747.98
Food Service Fund 227.45
ACH numbers 181900004-181900031
Receipts in the amount of $3,928,553.51as presented:
General Fund 3,168,322.68
Food Service Fund 234,817.65
Transportation Fund 2,481.89
Community Service Fund 45,896.95
Capital Expenditure Fund 900.00
Building Fund 6,657.12
Debt Service Fund 467,477.22
Scholarship Trust 2,000.00
Receipts 45444 – 45555
Wire transfers in the amount of $6,343,448.45 as presented:
General Fund 1,096.93
Food Service Fund 4,297.12
Community Service Fund 1,035.65
Capital Expenditure Fund 62,725.00
Debt Service Fund 6,274,293.75
Wire transfers 201800041-201800051
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $4,113,432.59 as presented:
Building Fund 4,113,432.59
Check numbers 600428 to 600453
c. Accept the following donations: Wee Trees, Pine Meadow Elementary, $135, supplies for students at Pine Meadow Elementary; Sartell-St. Stephen Education Foundation, ISD #748, $3,000, One District One Book initiative.
d. Accept the resignation of Kathy Sell, District, receptionist, 1/1/19. Accept the retirement of Cindy Heins, SHS, cook’s helper, 5/31/19. Accept the Early Teacher Retirements Qualifying For Incentive: Donald Dockendorf, ORE, physical education teacher, end of 18-19 school year; Shelley Gould, PME, kindergarten teacher, end of 18-19 school year; Mary Gruenes, SMS, fifth-grade teacher, 3/1/19; Mary Hille, SHS, FACS teacher, end of 18-19 school year; Thomas Kuhn, SHS, instructional technology specialist, end of 18-19 school year.
Student Representative Report: Lauren Lindmeier, student representative
- Lindmeier reported on happenings around the district. Pine Meadow and Oak Ridge had a Kindergarten Information Night scheduled, but will be moved due to the school closure and both buildings start One District, One Book this week. The Middle School had 10 students who participated in the geography bee competition, Student Council is doing Heart-Grams for the American Heart Association and the Stock Market and Chess clubs have started. The High School had Winter Wonderland at The Grands at Mulligans and it was very successful. The One-Act play performed last week, Mock Trial is undefeated so far this season and finals week finished on Jan. 18; new classes beginning for students on Jan. 22. The High School was named a best high school by U.S News.
Multi-Tiered System of Support Report:
- Kim Gibbons, director of the Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement (CAREI) provided a brief overview of the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework and discussed the implementation review conducted last school year in the District.
Saint Cloud Area Child Response Initiative (CRI) Report:
- Paige McConkey, Trauma Informed Advocate provided a brief overview of the St. Cloud Area Child Response Initiative.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported the flooring process will begin soon in the music wing while rigging is the next step in the theater area. The auxiliary gym is complete with gym equipment arriving. The pool tile has been installed and the flooring in the learning wings is being finished. Mixers have been slowed by the extreme cold weather, but the project remains on pace.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert reported the closing of school on Jan. 29 and 30 due to the extreme cold was in reaction to two specific numbers; air temperature and wind chill. A chart from the National Weather Service was reviewed with the board regarding these numbers.
School Board Committee Report:
- Director Kramer reported on the Drug Free Coalition meeting held on Jan. 8 and reported the coalition name will be changed to Substance Free Coalition.
Student Activity Account Report:
- Director of Business Services Joe Prom reported on the 2018-2019 student activity account.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE #1-15:
Maria Davis, ORE, student supervisor, $13.87/hour, RI, S1, two hours/day, rate correction, 12/4/2018; Zachary Dingmann, 3-5 building principal, $105,765, elementary principal, S8, new position, 7/1/2019; Shirley Janu, SHS, student supervisor, $13.87/hour, R1, S1, two hours/day, replacing Ashley Petschen, 1/22/19-3/21/19; Cindy Kerfeld, ORE, temporary part-time cleaner, $15.27/hour, R1, S1, four hours/day, replacing Laura Becker-Pallister, 1/14/19-5/31/19; Nikki Mortezaee, ORE, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 6.25 hours/day, replacing Carrie Kadoun, 1/28/2019; Susan Oachs, DSC/Early Childhood, para, $16.42/hour, 2.5 hours/day, Tuesday and Thursday, new position, 1/24/2019; Kayla Olson, District, crossing guard, $10 per shift, replacing Anita Rooney, 1/17/2019; Angie Thomas, PME, student supervisor, $13.87/hour, RI, S1, 2 hours/day, replacing Bonnie Mehr, 12/19/2018; Eric Thompson, PME, student supervisor, $13.87/hour, RI, S1, two hours/day, replacing Tracy Christian, 1/2/2019; Eric Thompson, PME, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 4.25 hours/day, replacing Tracy Christian, 1/2/2019; Tracey Watkin, SHS, industrial technology, $10,176, BS10, R, .1667 FTE, replacing Ariel Torborg, 1/21/19-6/3/19; Raleigh Woodruff, SHS, assistant track, $4,208 (9.5 percent), BA, E ($44,294), replacing Chad Claybaugh,3/11/2019; Shannon Zinken, SMS, junior high track, $1,728 (4.5 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Cody Rose, 3/13/2019.
Leaves of Absence:
Kira Rosenkrans, SMS, SLP, LOA, 8/26/19-11/4/19; Beverly Wiebe, SMS, custodian, LOA, 1/22/19-3/19/19.
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE ST. CLOUD AREA CHILD RESPONSE INITIATIVE (CRI) MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE ST. CLOUD AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERSHIP. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE SARTELL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERSHIP. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin TO APPROVE AWARDING CONTRACT 58 TO LOW BID AS RECOMMENDED:
Contract 58: AV Audio Visual Equipment and Programming Tierney Brothers, Inc. $697,877.42
Materials & Installation
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Snoberger TO APPROVE AWARDING CONTRACT 51, ALTERNATE 29, ALTERNATE 31, ALTERNATE 32 AND ALTERNATE 33 TO LOW BID AS RECOMMENDED:
Contract 51: Controls Complete – Material & Installation UHL Co., Inc.
Alternate 29 – Controls at Existing High School $308,950.00
Alternate 31 – Controls at Pine Meadow Elementary $194,380.00
Alternate 32 – Controls at Oak Ridge Elementary $167,800.00
Alternate 33 – Controls at District Service Building $ 77,385.00
All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Policy Committee Meeting – Tuesday, Jan. 29 @ District Service Center – 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Community Schools Planning Committee Meeting – Wednesday, Feb. 6 @ Sartell Middle School HUB – 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Work Session – Monday, Feb 4 @ District Service Center – 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Meeting – Monday, Feb. 25 @ District Service Center – 6:30 p.m.
Committee assignments were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 8:19 p.m. was made by Raden and seconded by Snoberger. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Pamela Raden, clerk
Publish: March 8, 2019
Author: Janelle Von Pinnon
Von Pinnon has been publishing the St. Joseph Newsleader since 1989, the Sartell-St. Stephen Newsleader since 1995 and the Sauk Rapids-Rice Newsleader since 2015. She graduated from Minnesota State University-Moorhead with degrees in mass communications (with an emphasis on print journalism) and biology. She lives in southeast St. Cloud with her husband and two children.