SPECIAL SCHOOL BOARD MEETING SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 748
AUG. 1, 2013 DISTRICT CENTER BOARD ROOM
The special school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 10:10 a.m. by Chair Michelle Meyer. Members present: Meyer; Krista Durrwachter, director; Pam Raden, director; Dan Riordan, director; and Michael Spanier, interim superintendent. Members absent: Mary McCabe, vice chair; Jason Nies, clerk/treasurer.
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Riordan to approve the agenda and close the meeting for negotiations strategy pursuant to MN Stat. 13D.03. All in favor. Motion carried. Business Director Steve Wruck and Human Resources Director Nicole Hylen were invited to join the discussion.
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Raden at 10:38 a.m. to open the meeting. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Riordan to adjourn the meeting at 10:39 a.m. All in favor. Motion carried.
Jason Nies, Clerk/Treasurer
Publish: Aug. 23, 2013
REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 748
JULY 15, 2013 DISTRICT CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 4 p.m. by Chair Michelle Meyer. Members present: Meyer; Mary McCabe, vice chair; Jason Nies, clerk/ treasurer; Pam Raden, director; Krista Durrwachter, director; Dan Riordan, director; Shawn Sullivan, student representative and Mike Spanier, interim superintendent.
Meyer thanked staff, guests and students for attending the Board meeting at 4 p.m. Special welcome to Spanier the district’s new interim superintendent and Sullivan, student representative.
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Riordan to approve consent items a-c as presented below:
- Minutes of the meeting held on June 17, 2013 and June 26, 2013.
- Checks in the amount of $1,916,427.74 as presented:
General Fund 1,332,782.89
Food Service Fund 22,414.16
Transportation Fund 39,515.31
Community Service Fund 27,827.17
Capital Expenditure Fund 189,044.36
Building Fund 264,755.68
Scholarship Trust 20,650.00
Summer Rec Agency Fund 19,438.17
Check numbers 152384 to 152649
Receipts in the amount of $2,964.329.85 as presented:
General Fund 1,563,933.06
Food Service Fund 63,035.98
Transportation Fund 377.37
Community Service Fund 68,016.81
Capital Expenditure Fund 4,653.00
Building Fund 73.07
Debt Service Fund 1,216,566.20
Scholarship Trust 11,750.00
Summer Rec Agency Fund 35,924.36
Receipts 38714 to 38804
Wire transfers in the amount of $1,447,494.13 as presented:
General Fund 298.50
Debt Service Fund 1,447,195.63
Wire transfers 201200068 to 201300004
- Accept the following donations:
|ORE PTC||Sartell-St. Stephen School District||$778.99||Shredder|
Student Representative Report: Sullivan
- Student council representatives had the opportunity to attend the National Student Council
Conference and gathered several ideas and further developed leadership skills
- The theme for Homecoming has been established: White and Blue: We’re the Sabre Crew
- National Honor Society has recently cleaned up their adopted highway and will be having team building
opportunities in August
- Captains’ practice has started for Fall sports
- Several students of all ages are participating in Summer Recreation Activities
- The first training for Sabre Splash will be Aug. 5 with a Hawaiian theme
Superintendent Report: Spanier, interim superintendent
- The District Early Childhood Program received a four-star recognition, the highest possible rating,
from Parent Aware, a program supported through the Minnesota Department of Education
- The construction on the parking lots at Sartell Middle School and Sartell High School should be close to
completion in mid-August
- The roofing projects at Sartell Middle School and the District Service Center are currently on time
School Board Committee Reports:
Board Policy Committee
- The Policy Committee continues to review policies on a routine basis
- All-day, every-day kindergarten will be funded starting the 2014-15 School Year
- The weighted student funding system has been updated to fund schools
- School boards are now able to authorize referendums to certain amounts based on new language passed by the legislature
- The committee continues to work with the Sartell Education Association
- The committee is meeting with the paraprofessional union to discuss the process moving forward
Community Resource Facilities Task Force
- The task force recommends the city pull back on moving forward with a community resource facility and focus on space for senior citizens
Leading and Learning Technology Plan Update: Kyle Breitkreutz, director of Technology Services, shared an updated report about the district’s Leading and Learning Technology Plan.
Teacher Induction Program: Kay Nelson, director of Learning Services, and Peggi Fogarty, teacher at Pine Meadow Elementary, presented information on the Teacher Induction Program, progress for the 2012-13 school year and changes for the upcoming school year.
Review and Update on Final Apple Technology Lease: Steve Wruck, director of Business Services, shared the final lease information.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Riordan to APPROVE THE MILK AND BRAD PRODUCT CONTRACTS. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Nies to APPROVE STUDENT AND ATHLETIC HANDBOOK. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Durrwachter to APPROVE THE RENEWAL OF MSBA MEMBERSHIP 2013-14. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Durrwachter to RENEWAL OF RESOURCE TRAINING MEMBERSHIP 2013-14. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Nies to APPROVE MDE HEALTH AND SAFETY PROGRAM BUDGET AND REVIEW POLICY. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Riordan to APPROVE JOINT POWERS AGREEMENT WITH MNSCU FOR TPI FUNDS. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Riordan and seconded by Nies to HAVE SECOND READINGS AND APPROVE THE REVISED POLICES 902, 903 AND 907. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Nies to APPROVE THE PERSONNEL OMNIBUS RESOLUTION. All in favor. Motion carried.
New Employees or Changes:
|1.||Barb Eckberg||DSC||ECFE coordinator||$BA+30, Step 7, $29,203 (.65 of $44,927)||Replacing Gayle Smoley|
|2.||Andria Kelley||DSC||ECFE||BA, Step 1, $22.65||New Position|
|3.||Brennan Michaels||SHS||Vocal music||BA, Step 2,$34,013||Replacing Garrett Lathe|
|4.||Kay Nelson||DSC||Director of Learning Services||$87,236||Replacing Mike Spanier|
|5.||Cassie Raehsler||SHS||Head girls soccer||BS1 (12.5%)||Replacing Joe Perske|
|6.||Mike Sieben||SHS||10th-grade football||BS11 (9.5%)||Replacing Marcus Oistad|
|7.||Brittney Soldner||DSC||ECFE teacher||BA, Step 1 $22.65/hr||Rehire|
|8.||Jenna Stoneking||ORE||Special education teacher||BA, Step 1, $33,158||Replacing Tessa Scheffler|
|9.||Kirstin Welz||SMS||Vocal and classroom music – LTS||BA, Step 2, $34,013||Replacing Kay Nelson|
|10.||Andy Zilka||DSC||IT help desk||$17.38/per hour||New Position|
Leave of Absence:
|11.||Kay Nelson||SMS||Teacher||Leave of Absence||07-01-13 to 06-30-14|
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Durrwachter to APPROVE NON-UNION CONTRACTS. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Work session – Monday, Aug. 19 at 2 p.m.
- Policy Committee – Tuesday, Aug. 6 at 10:30 a.m.
- Negotiations –
- Sartell Education Association – Tuesday, July 23 at 9 a.m.
- Paraprofessionals – Thursday, July 18 at 10 a.m.
The Board completed official review of Policies 203.5, 205, 405 and 413.
The Board had first of two readings of revisions of Policies: 406, 407, 414 and 417.
A motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:45 p.m. was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Riordan. All in favor. Motion carried.
Jason Nies, Clerk/Treasurer
Dated: July 15, 2013
Publish: Aug. 23, 2013