CITY OF ST. STEPHEN
A public hearing will be held in the St. Stephen City Hall Council Chamber at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 8 for the purpose of discussing a conditional-use permit application accepted by the City Council submitted by Tom J. Vouk to use existing buildings as seasonal storage.
Property Address: 15 Central Ave. N., St. Stephen
Property Number: 90.55830.0001
Section 24 Township 126 Range 029
You are invited to attend this public hearing. All comments, written or oral, will be heard. Comments can be mailed to: 26th Ave. SE, St. Stephen, MN 56375 or via email: email@example.com.
City of St. Stephen City Clerk
Dated: Dec. 17, 2013
Publish: Dec. 20, 2013
CITY OF ST. STEPHEN
NOTICE: CHANGE IN MEETING DATE
The City of St. Stephen City Council will hold its business meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014 due to the Jan. 1 holiday. The meeting will begin at its regular time of 7 p.m.
/s/ Cris Drais
City of St. Stephen City Clerk
Dated: Dec. 10, 2013
Publish: Dec. 20, 2013
REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 748
NOV. 18, 2013
DISTRICT CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 7 p.m. by Vice Chair Mary McCabe. Members present: McCabe; Jason Nies, clerk/ treasurer; Pam Raden, director; Krista Durrwachter, director; Shawn Sullivan, student representative and Mike Spanier, interim superintendent. Members absent: Michelle Meyer, chair, and Dan Riordan, director.
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Raden to approve the agenda with the following additions: A4d – retirement of Karla M. Sattler. Moved Action Item #4 – Approve 2013 Audit Report and Report Item #5 United Way Report to accommodate presenters schedules. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Raden to approve consent items a-d as presented below:
- Minutes of the meeting held on Oct. 21, 2013.
- Checks in the amount of $2,221,063.46 as presented:
General Fund 1,795,413.38
Food Service Fund 149,953.29
Transportation Fund 120,530.27
Community Service Fund 56,939.33
Capital Expenditure Fund 94,244.56
Building Fund 3,982.63
Check numbers 153848 to 154250
Receipts in the amount of $5,761,014.72 as presented:
General Fund 3,294,409.36
Food Service Fund 213,278.27
Transportation Fund 11,541.33
Community Service Fund 147,262.41
Capital Expenditure Fund 72,347.45
Building Fund 15.04
Debt Service Fund 2,020,660.86
Summer Rec Agency Fund 1,500.00
Receipts 39054 to 39185
Wire transfers in the amount of $8,398.29 as presented:
General Fund 539.18
Food Service Fund 7,302.29
Community Service Fund 556.82
Wire transfers 201300026 to 201300032
- Accept the following donations: $1,250 from St. Cloud Times Media (Media in Education Program) for Student Tablet or Computer at the ISD #748 and $5,000 from Sartell Fastpitch for Softball Field Improvements for the Sartell High School
- Accept the resignations of Nicole Pride, SMS, student supervisor, effective 11-07-13. The retirement of Karla M. Sattler, ORE, teacher, effective 06-05-14.
Student Representative Report: Shawn Sullivan, senior at Sartell High School
- Girls’ Swimming and Diving team is at the state tournament Nov. 18-20.
- National Honor Society is sponsoring a “No Shave November” fundraiser where students are able to add money to jars. Funds raised will go to families in need in the community.
- The High School Student Council is collecting Coborn’s turkey stamps in hopes to accumulate stamps to provide turkeys to families in need.
- Several winter sports and activities have started.
- Sartell Middle School hosted 61 veterans for lunch for Veterans Day.
- Sartell Middle School Conferences are coming up during the next week.
- An activity night will be held for 5th- and 6th-graders at Sartell Middle School.
- PME and ORE have upcoming book fairs.
- Both elementary buildings are supporting holiday food and toy drives.
Superintendent Report: Mike Spanier, interim superintendent
- Sartell Middle School hosted two assemblies on Veterans’ Day to honor veterans and educate
middle-school students about the day.
- Several fall athletic teams and individuals participated in the state tournaments: Boys’ Soccer Team; Girls’ Soccer Team; Football; Cross Country Running: Blake Anderson – Boys’ Cross Country Running and Shelby Hall – Girls’ Cross Country Running; and Girls’ Swimming and Diving
- The PME Wax Museum hosted several students and families to come learn about famous inventors based on 4th-graders’ research and acting as the inventor in a ‘wax museum’ fashion. This project also supports the implementation of 21st Century skills, aligned with PME’s site goals.
- Sartell High School hosted its annual Academic Breakfast and recognized more than 250 students.
- The District launched its use of Skylert by sharing a monthly e-newsletter about district-wide events.
School Board Committee Reports:
- The committee had their first meeting with the multi-unit 284 group and has another one scheduled.
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Curriculum and instruction continue to support a standards-aligned curriculum through a continuous curriculum cycle and teacher-leader involvement.
- The district’s new teacher induction program supports teachers new to the district through assigning a mentor/coach to each teacher for three years in partnership with SCUS’s Teacher Preparation Initiative.
- Through the full-access technology integration, SMS turned two labs into classrooms and PME has turned a lab into a classroom which has allowed for optimizing the use of space available.
- Tech Coaches are staff members who have designated blocks of time to work with teachers and staff to support curriculum integration into content-specific areas.
- There has been a greater use of Schoology as staff continues to get staff development, support and opportunities to enhance curriculum.
United Way Report: Betty Schnettler, vice president of community impact for United Way, shared her thanks to the overall district for the continued support and partnerships with the United Way of Central Minnesota.
Report on District Building Goals: Kay Nelson, director of learning services, along with several building and teacher leaders, presented district and building improvement goals for the 2013-14 school year.
Early Childhood Education – Kim Larsen and Katie Werle; Pine Meadow Elementary – Justin Foss and Kellie Turner; Oak Ridge Elementary – Tina Perry and Paul Moe
Sartell Middle School – Cari Ritter and Rachael Schelonka
Sartell High School – Terri Benson and Deb Rollings
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Raden to REVIEW AND ACCEPT THE AUDIT FOR YEAR ENDING JUNE 30, 2013 AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Durrwachter to HAVE SECOND READINGS AND APPROVE THE REVISED POLICIES 418, 422, 524, 601, 603, 613, 707, 802 and 902. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Durrwachter and seconded by Raden to APPROVE THE PERSONNEL OMNIBUS RESOLUTION. All in favor. Motion carried.
New Employees or Changes:
- Vanessa Axtell, SMS lunchroom supervisor, @12.65/hr. two hours per day replacing Nicole Pride.
- Tara Gottschling, SHS assistant gymnastics, #3,174/ BS1, (9.5%), new position added for academic year 2013-14.
- Jorden Nelson, SHS substitute teach, $3,174/BS1, (65 days), amended contract – LTS for Michele Nelson
- Janet Skinner, PME playground supervisor, $12.65/ per hour, two hours per day, replacing Terri Johnson.
- Michael Symanietz, SMS JH boy’s swimming, $2,121/BS 1 (6.35%), replacing Chris Almen Sjogren
- Lori Traut, ECSE para, $19.95/per hr – 46 hrs total – new position
Leave of Absence:
- Therese Nierengarten, SMS teacher, Oct. 22, 2013 – Nov. 22, 2013.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Nies to APPROVE THE RESOLUTION RATIFYING THE AWARD OF THE SALE, DETERMINING THE FORM AND DETAILS, AUTHORIZING THE EXECUTIION, DELIVERY AND REGISTRATION, AND PROVIDING FOR THE PAYMENT OF THE GENERAL OBLIGATION SCHOOL BUILDING BONDS, SERIES 2014A. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Raden to APPROVE THE CONTRACT WITH THE SARTELL PRINCIPALS ASSOCIATION.
Annual Board Organizational Meeting has been set for Monday, Jan. 6, 2014 at 7 p.m.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Dec. 2 at 4:15 p.m. – Board Work Session – Board Goal Development, District Service Center
- Dec. 4 at 4:15 p.m. – Policy Committee, District Service Center
- Dec. 11 at 4:15 p.m. – Finance and Operations, District Service Center
- Dec. 16 at 7 p.m. – Regular Board Meeting, District Service Center
- Dec. 19 at 7:30 a.m. – Curriculum, Assessment and Instruction Committee, District Service Center
- Jan. 6 at 7 p.m. – Organizational Meeting, District Service Center
The Board had first of two readings of revisions of Policies: 614 and 618.
The Board discussed and had the first reading of the new policy 711.
The Board discussed and had the second reading of the new policy 523.
A motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:14 p.m. was made by Nies and seconded by Durrwachter. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Jason Nies, Clerk/Treasurer
Dec. 16, 2013Publish: Dec. 20, 2013