TRUTH IN TAXATION PUBLIC HEARING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
DEC. 17, 2018
SARTELL HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER
The public hearing for the proposed 2018 payable 2019 levy started at 6:01 p.m. called by Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies; Mary McCabe, vice chair; Pamela Raden, clerk; Jeremy Snoberger, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Patrick Marushin, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
Business Manager Joseph Prom reviewed the 2018 payable 2019 levy materials including the 2018-2019 budget, types of levies and property-tax calculations.
REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
DEC. 17, 2018
SARTELL HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:31 p.m. by Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies, chair; Mary McCabe, vice chair; Pamela Raden, clerk; Jeremy Snoberger, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Patrick Marushin, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-E AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Nov. 19, 2018
Minutes of the board work session held on Nov. 19, 2018
Minutes of the board work session held on Dec. 12, 2018
b. Checks in the amount of $1,989,644.03 as presented:
General Fund 1,596,446.43
Food Service Fund 158,504.43
Transportation Fund 126,260.29
Community Service Fund 42,388.74
Capital Expenditure Fund 26,826.02
Debt Service Fund 28,050.14
Summer Rec Agency Fund 11,167.98
Check numbers 173774 – 174063
Receipts in the amount of $4,538,589.92 as presented:
General Fund 2,340,384.20
Food Service Fund 252,530.22
Transportation Fund 28,619.89
Community Service Fund 134,479.65
Building Fund 11,301.90
Debt Service Fund 1,746,524.06
Scholarship Trust 750.00
Summer Rec Agency Fund 24,000.00
Receipts 45318 – 45443
Wire transfers in the amount of $8,174.55 as presented:
General Fund 1,272.19
Food Service Fund 5,752.95
Community Service Fund 1,149.41
Wire transfers 201800036-201800040
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $3,288,186.77 as presented:
Building Fund 3,288,186.77
Check numbers 600405 to 600427
c. Accept the following donations Garrett Counter, Sartell High School, $174.27, JR tire/sheel/hub sssembly; Central Minnesota Builders Association, ISD #748, $500, Tools for Schools; Oak Ridge Elementary PTO, ISD #748, $750, Grandparents’ Day.
d. Accept the resignation of Valerie Gruba, ORE, student supervisor, 12/1/18; Carrie Kadoun, ORE, para, 12/31/18; Stacy Steil-Anderson, SHS, FACS, 12/3/18. Accept the release of employment of Laura Becker-Pallister, SMS, part-time cleaner, 12/17/18 and Chris Euteneuer, SHS, para, 11/21/18.
e. Approve resolution establishing combined polling places for multiple precincts and designating hours during which the polling places will remain open for voting for school district elections not held on the day of a statewide election.
Student Representative Report: Eli Lawson, student representative
- Lawson reported on happenings around the district. Oak Ridge had more than 700 grandparents in attendance on Grandparents’ Day. Pine Meadow will host Bingo night this Friday to close out Winter Wonderland week. The Middle School Student Council made holiday cards for the troops overseas and had more than 80 families at their family math night event. Middle School student, Annabelle Trombley won the United Way essay contest. The High School Student Council collected more than 60 bags of food for the Thanksgiving food drive and NHS raised $4,000 for families in needs. The band concert was last Monday and the choir concert is tonight. There will be a teddy bear toss at hockey tomorrow night and the week ends with Tom Bearson night at the boys’ and girls’ basketball games Friday night.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert reported the next board meeting will be the organizational meeting and the date will be confirmed tonight. The board will need to have a committee look into the topic of fundraising in relation to the rise of GoFundMe’s popularity. This has been a no in the past, but needs to be reviewed. Congratulations to Director of Technology Kyle Breitkreutz in being awarded the Sourcewell Technology (formerly TIES) Minnesota Leader of the Year Award. This is a direct reflection of his and all district technology staff’s abilities.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported there are more than 100 workers on average at the worksite who will be served a thank you luncheon this week. Painting continues on the upper walls in the gymnasium and they are preparing for equipment deliveries in mid-January. In the pool area baffles are being readied, tile work is continuing and the locker room masonry is finishing up in preparation for painting. Painting and drywall continue throughout the building with areas four and five having complete sheetrock by Dec. 31. OSHA completed a site visit which went very well.
School Board Committee Report:
- Treasurer Snoberger reported on the recent Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment (CIA) meeting he attended.
- Director Kramer reported the Drug Free Coalition meeting was well attended last week and attended the TARGET club meeting on Dec. 5.
Sartell High School Technology Education Report:
- Nick Phillips and Joe Schulte, SHS technology education teachers, presented an overview of the technology education spaces in the new building and shared enhanced learning opportunities the new space will provide.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Raden to APPROVE #1-13:
Megumi Burdick, SMS, food service worker, $15.27/hour, RI, S1, three hours/day, replacing Nazlah Krenzolak, 11/29/2018; Tracy Christian, PME, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 6.25 hours/day, new position, TBD; Maria Davis, ORE, student supervisor, $13.73/hour, RI, S1, two hours/day, replacing Valerie Gruba, 12/4/2018; Anna Forberg, SHS, nordic ski, $1,824 (9.5 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), 50-percent contract, new position, 11/12/2018; Valerie Gruba, SHS, cashier, $15.27/hour, RI, S1, three hours/day, replacing Sasha Doeden, 11/28/2018; Nathan Keller, SHS, assistant lacrosse, $3,208 (8.35 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Lidner/ Rutten, 4/1/2019; Trever Nordlund, SHS, swim/diving, $3,029 (9.5 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), 83-percent contract, replacing Madi Molitor, 12/3/2018; Clayton Teff, SHS, nordic ski, $1,824 (9.5 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), 50-percent contract, new position, 11/12/2018; Cynthia VanderWeyst, SHS, para – Level IV, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, seven hours/day, replacing Chris Euteneuer, 1/2/2019; Madelyn Zinken, SHS, assistant girls’ golf, $2,823 (7.35 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Marty Anderson, 3/18/2019.
New Employees Pending Licensure:
Christian Pekarek, SMS, math, $24,731, BA, 0 ($38,410), .6126 FTE, new position, 12/10/2018; Jennifer Puncochar, SHS, LTS physical education/health, $19,631, BA, 0 ($38,410), .4863 FTE, replacing Cody Rose, 1/21/19- 5/31/19; Nathan Schultz, SHS, LTS physical education/health, $19,631, BA, 0 ($38,410), .4863 FTE, replacing Karl Scharnweber, 1/21/19-5/31/19.
Leaves of Absence:
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE BOYS BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL TEAM FUNDRAISERS. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE PROPOSED 2019-2020 ACADEMIC CALENDAR FOR SARTELL-ST.STEPHEN SCHOOL ISD 748. Nies, Raden, Snoberger, Marushin and Kramer in favor. Nay vote by McCabe. Motion carried 5-1.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE CLERICAL, PARAPROFESSIONAL, 284 MULTI-UNIT, CERTIFIED STAFF & ECFE SENIORITY LISTS. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE PARAMETERS FOR EARLY RETIREMENT NOTICE INCENTIVE AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Raden to APPROVE THE CERTIFICATION OF THE 2018 PAYABLE 2019 PROPERTY TAX LEVY IN THE AMOUNT OF $10,194,085.83. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Organizational Meeting – Monday, Jan. 7 – District Services Center @ 6:30 p.m.
- Board Work Session – Monday, Jan. 7 – District Services Center @ 7 p.m.
- Future Board Meeting – TBD
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 7:27 p.m. was made by McCabe and seconded by Kramer. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Pamela Raden, Clerk
Publish: Feb. 8, 2019
Author: Janelle Von Pinnon
Von Pinnon has been publishing the St. Joseph Newsleader since 1989, the Sartell-St. Stephen Newsleader since 1995 and the Sauk Rapids-Rice Newsleader since 2015. She graduated from Minnesota State University-Moorhead with degrees in mass communications (with an emphasis on print journalism) and biology. She lives in southeast St. Cloud with her husband and two children.