photo by Dennis Dalman
The Rice Fire Department responded to a fire call at 5:20 p.m. June 23 at Lot 34 in Rockwood Estates Mobile-Home Park just south of the Rice city limits. A neighbor smelled something amiss. The residents were not at home at the time of the call. Firefighters did a visual check of the residence and then waited about two hours after the residents were contacted and returned home. Once inside, firefighters determined there was no gas leak anywhere in the house, said Rice Fire Chief Scott Janski. Fortunately, the presumed emergency caused no damage or injuries. A Benton County Sheriff’s deputy was also at the scene.