A fire that started on a deck destroyed a Brockway Township residence early March 23.
Beth Johnson awoke to find light coming from the deck of the split-level home at 5526 Prairie Grass Drive, according Sheriff Steve Soyka. She realized the wooden deck adjoining the house was on fire and she woke her husband, Joshua Johnson, and their children. The family safely exited the home.
Arriving deputies noticed the fire spreading to the siding and roof. Firefighters extinguished the fire before it spread but the home is a total loss. It is believed the fire started from cigarette butts left on the deck, according to the sheriff’s office. The fire was reported at 2:13 a.m.
Fire departments from St. Stephen, Sartell and Rice responded to the call.