REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 748
NOV. 26, 2012
DISTRICT CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair Dan Riordan. Members present: Riordan; Greg Asfeld, clerk; Lesa Kramer, treasurer; Mary McCabe, director; Michelle Meyer, director; Chris Gross, director; and Joseph Hill, superintendent. Members absent: None.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by McCabe to approve the agenda with the following changes: addition of the public forum opportunity before the consent agenda; add to personnel resolution for Heck, Stang and Myers; move check #149465 from consent agenda to separate item to follow consent. All in favor. Motion carried.
Riordan congratulated newly elected members and welcomed Board Member Michelle Meyer who began service on the Board at this meeting.
A motion was made by Asfeld and seconded by Gross to approve consent items a-c as presented below:
a. Minutes of the meeting held on Oct. 15, 2012 and the special meeting held on Nov. 16, 2012
b. Checks in the amount of $3,440,161.21 as presented:
Food Service 165,696.51
Community Service 52,556.04
Capital Expenditure 177,712.17
Building Fund 1,124,331.06
Summer Rec Agency 1,078.42
Check numbers 149282 to 149915.
Receipts in the amount of $5,229,461.03 as presented:
General Fund 3,796,626.91
Food Service Fund 190,804.59
Transportation Fund 25,777.02
Community Service Fund 108,995.36
Capital Expenditure Fund 4,075.67
Building Fund 168.72
Debt Service Fund 1,103,012.76
Wire transfers in the amount of $34,321.34 as presented:
General Fund 30,182.35
Food Service Fund 2,782.58
Community Service Fund 1,356.41
Wire transfers 201200019-201200027
c. Accept the resignations of Lynn Fitzhum, SMS para, effective 12-01-12; Jessi Mabis, food services, effective 11-21-12; Shannon Miller, supervision, effective 11-12-12; Theresa Skalla, spec. ed. para, effective 10-16-12; Debbie Anderson, student supervisor, effective 10-16-12; Roxanne Yasgar, ORE para, effective 10-15-12; and Jamie Kelley, food Sservices, effective 11-21-12; and the retirement of Michael Glauner, substitute bus driver, effective 01-15-13; and Patti Lutz, SHS health teacher, effective 02-20-13.
McCabe noted a correction in the minutes from the Oct. 15, 2012 meeting removing reference to a personnel plan in the motion for approval of a superintendent contract. The Board agreed to this correction.
Vote on consent agenda. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Meyer to table payment of check number 149465 until the board treasurer views itemized bill for services. The Board discussed allowing for the Treasurer to review an itemized bill to be provided and allowing for payment to be released upon favorable review. All in favor. Motion carried.
During School Board Committee reports, Kramer reported on a Finance Committee meeting and McCabe reported on an Operations Committee meeting.
Assessment Coordinator Amy Trombley presented results of state testing and compared most recent results with previous years.
Early Childhood Director Barb Eckberg, Special Education Director Marlene Grindland and Pine Meadow Elementary Principal Greg Johnson updated the Board on the early childhood program and the transition to the new space at the District Service Center.
Several teachers from each school building and from ECFE/ECSE presented site-academic-improvement plans for their schools and how goals were formed. Principals thanked the teachers for work on these goals.
Assessment Coordinator Trombley reviewed the results of the Vision 2015 Fall Survey.
Information Technology Director Kyle Breitkreutz reviewed progress on the District Information Technology Plan and discussed next steps in implementation. Breitkreutz also spoke about network and technology support levels at the schools.
Superintendent Hill introduced a draft proposal for a collective-bargaining model for future negotiations. The Board discussed next steps in determining how to proceed with future collective-bargaining processes.
The Board took a recess at 8:50 p.m. The meeting began again at 8:55 p.m.
Business Services Director Steve Wruck introduced Kara Gaffy from KDV who completed the audit of the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. Gaffy presented the audit results. A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by McCabe to review and accept the audit for year ending June 30, 2012 as presented. All in favor. Motion carried.
Kramer updated the Board on an agreement reached with the Principals Association. Business Services Director Wruck and Human Resources Director Nicole Hylen answered questions. A motion was made by Meyer and seconded by Asfeld to approve the contract with the Sartell-St. Stephen Principals Association for 2011-2013. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Gross to approve the SHS Spanish Club fundraiser for travel to Cost Rica in June, 2013. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Meyer and seconded by Kramer to have third reading and approve new Policies 507, 508 AND 524. The Board discussed notification to parents regarding opting out of internet activities. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by McCabe to have second reading and approve revised Policies 514, 516 and 525. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Meyer and seconded by Asfeld to remove Policies 509.2, 528 and 606.1. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Meyer to schedule the annual board organizational meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 7. All in favor. Motion carried.
The Board noted a Policy Committee meeting to be held on Dec. 11 at the District Service Center.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Kramer to approve the personnel omnibus resolution.
New Employees or Changes:
Name Bldg. Position Compensation Change
1. Sherry Ritter-Ramer PME cashier, 2.5 hrs/day R1 S1, $13.49 Increase in .25 hr/day due to increased need
2. Molly Carey SHS asst dance, 4.175% BS1, $1384 New position, outside funded
3. Emily Meyer SHS Spanish, 41.67% BA S1, $13,817 Replacing Thomas Stang
4. Leah Olk PME LTS elem ed BS S1, $181.19/day Covering leave of Angela Seutter
5. Anna Burbridge PME LTS elem ed BS S1, $181.19/day Covering leaves of Megan Brown and Karen Wolford
6. Wendy Goltz DSC SLP LTS MS S1, $229.73/day Covering leaves of Jacqi Schultz and Marcia Gaetz
7. Annette Binder PME playground supervision, 2hrs/day $12.50 Replacing Judy Ohman
8. Rich Schimenek SHS strength training, 3.35% BS2, $1139 New position, outside funded
9. Bruce Thompson SHS asst boys hockey, 9.5% BS1, $3150 Replacing Ben Bengston, outside funded
10. Ryan Voss SHS asst girls basketball, 10.5% BS3, $3661 Replacing Kristen Hansen
11. Karlye Barron SHS 9th-grade girls basketball, 8.35% BS1, $2769 Replacing Ryan Voss
12. Christopher Almen-Sjogren SMS JH boys swim, 6.35% BS1, $2106 Replacing Tim Leehahl
13. Lynn Wegner SHS asst boys swim, 9.5% BS1, $3150 Replacing Landon Misler
14. Nancy Walters DSC SRGF para R4 S1, $14.99 Replacing Denise Waldvogel
15. Denise Waldvogel ORE para, 6.25 hrs/day $16.12 Change assignment from DSC para to new ORE para, increase of 14.75 hrs/wk
16. Sandy Harrison SMS student supervision R1 S1, $12.65 Replacing Karen Butler
17. Amal Ayyub SMS para, 4.5 hrs/day R4 S1, $14.99 Replacing Michelle Gacke
18. Melissa Anderson DSC ECSE, 7 hrs/wk R4 S1, $14.99 New position
19. Judy Ohman ORE door greeter/student supervision, 3.5 hrs/day Range IV S5, $15.48 Replacing Denise Waldvogel
20. Jon Christensen SMS LTS music BS S1, $181.19/day Covering leave of Amy Hart
21. Kim Larsen DSC ECFE teacher $42.35/hour Additional 66 hours/year for added class
22. Kadie Mathews SMS lunchroom supervisor $12.50 Replacing Shannon Miller
23. Teresa Heck ORE LTS elementary ed, 101 days BA S1, $18,300 Replacing Cindy Helgerson
24. Thomas Stang SHS LTS Spanish BS S1, $181.19/day Covering leave of Jennifer Madrigal
25. Mathew Myers SHS 9th-grade basketball, 8.35% BS1, $2729 New position, outside funded
Leave of absence:
Name Bldg. Position Action Expected Duration
26. Jennifer Madrigal SHS Spanish teacher Leave of absence 11-25-12 to 01-21-13
27. Kristin Hanson SMS PE teacher Leave of absence 09-04-12 to 10-17-12
28. Angela Seutter PME 1st-grade teacher Leave of absence 02-22-13 to 05-31-13
29. Karen Wolford PME 1st-grade teacher Leave of absence 03-07-13 to 05-31-13
30. Amy Hart SMS music teacher Leave of absence 10-23-12 to 01-23-2013
31. Therese Nierengarten SMS social worker Leave of absence Extension of leave through 01-21-13
All in favor. Motion carried.
The Board completed official reviews of Policies 527 and 531.
The Board had first readings of revisions of Policies 529 and 535.
The Board had the second of three readings of proposed new Policy 519 and the first of three readings of proposed new Policy 534.
A motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:43 p.m. was made by Gross and seconded by Asfeld. All in favor. Motion carried.
Greg Asfeld, Clerk