REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
JUNE 19, 2018
DISTRICT SERVICE CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 5 p.m. by Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies; Mary McCabe, vice chair; Pamela Raden, clerk; Jeremy Snoberger, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Patrick Marushin, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: None.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE THE AGENDA WITH THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS: move Action Item 8 – Approve Trobec’s Bus Contract from action to reports, Report Item 10 – Trobec’s Bus Contract; add to Donations, St. Cloud Orthopedics; and remove from personnel omnibus Shirley Janu. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-D AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on May 21, 2018
Minutes of the closed board work session held on June 11, 2018
b. Checks in the amount of $1,871,492.21 as presented:
General Fund 1,628,577.53
Food Service Fund 111,557.24
Transportation Fund 49,269.01
Community Service Fund 32,747.72
Capital Expenditure Fund 46,980.75
Summer Rec Agency Fund 2,359.96
Check numbers 171923 – 172223
Receipts in the amount of $6,671,531.58 as presented:
General Fund 4,543,761.10
Food Service Fund 220,070.42
Transportation Fund 1,601.80
Community Service Fund 86,810.12
Capital Expenditure Fund 87.75
Building Fund 17,623.72
Debt Service Fund 1,730,221.67
Scholarship Trust 8,100.00
Summer Rec Agency Fund 63,255.00
Wire transfers in the amount of $7,298.80 as presented:
General Fund 1,795.19
Food Service Fund 4,215.73
Community Service Fund 272.87
Summer Rec Agency Fund 1,015.01
Wire transfers 201700087-201700091
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $4,150,390.44 as presented:
Building Fund 4,150,390.44
Check number 600270-600290
c. Accept the resignation of Katie Beckmann, PME, elementary teacher, 8/31/18; Blake Field, SMS, student supervisor, 5/31/18; Sarah Funk, DSC, early childhood coordinator, 6/30/18; Carol Kiekow, SHS, food service worker, 5/31/18; Sara Kimman, SMS, English/language arts, 8/31/18; Amy Krueger, SMS, special education, 8/31/18; David Miller, SHS, social studies, 8/31/18. Accept the retirement of Karen Evenson, Transportation, bus driver, 7/15/18; Jessie Kovall, Transportation/SMS, bus driver/food service worker, 5/31/18; Jacquelyn Lindner, SMS, Para, 6/30/18.
d. Accept the following donations: John and Theresa Law, Sartell Middle School – sixth-grade language arts, $100, books; Vasugi and Gajendranathan Ramanathan, Sartell Middle School – Physical Education Department, $200, stationary bike; Oak Ridge Elementary PTC, Oak Ridge Elementary, $1,778.91, xylophone and SPED; Pine Meadow PTO Elementary, Pine Meadow Elementary, $270.15, classroom supplies; Pine Meadow PTO Elementary, Pine Meadow Elementary, $471.67, classroom supplies; Pine Meadow PTO Elementary, Pine Meadow Elementary, $1,820.28, classroom supplies; St. Cloud Orthopedics, Sartell High School Physical Education Department, fitness equipment ($3,000 value); United Way c/o Lisa Kent, ISD 748, $80.30, ECFE.
Student Representative Report:
- No report.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported the project is maintaining its critical dates. There are currently averages of 80 workers on site each day. Precast, foundation and footings are complete. The overall project and onsite safety is going well.
Circle of Friends Special Education Report:
- Sartell Middle School Teachers Lori Connolly and Amanda Holstrom along with Middle School students Madisyn Claseman, Abby Sieben and Annabelle Tautges presented an overview of the Circle of Friends program.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert recognized Holly Lathe and Brandon Nordhues for receiving “Master Teacher” recognition from the Perpich Center for the Arts. School safety has been reviewed at all sites following the district’s implementation of the A.L.I.C.E. Program. Three highlights include having excellent visibility at all buildings, reiterating the importance of the Evade aspect of the training and all buildings will have “red lock-down” buttons installed to lock all exterior doors with a single push.
School Board Committee Report:
- Director Kramer reported on the Drug Free Coalition meeting last Wednesday.
- Clerk Raden reported on the recent Steering Committee meeting she attended.
Community Survey Results Report:
- Kay Nelson, assistant superintendent of learning services; Brenda Steve, high school principal; Kurt Stumpf, middle school principal; Kip Lynk, Oak Ridge principal; Sara Nelson, Pine Meadow principal; and Kris O’Brien, community education director shared a summary of the 2017-18 District 748 Annual Community Survey.
Solar Garden Update Report:
- Schwiebert provided an update on the solar garden located off Pinecone Road north of the Sartell High School currently being built.
- Schwiebert reported on the final 2017-2018 enrollment numbers for each school.
End-of-Year Student Activity Account Report:
- Director of Business Services Steve Wruck reported on the 2017-2018 end-of-year student activity account.
Trobec’s Bus Contract Report:
- Schwiebert and Wruck presented on the proposed three-year contract with Trobec’s Bus Service.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE #1-19:
Nicole Bergh, SMS, SPED – ESY, $45.08/hour, MA20, M, new position, 6/11/2018; Zach Brown, SHS, science-targeted services, $32.50/hour, new position, 6/4/2018; Michaela Carle, SMS, seventh-/eighth-grade SPED, $40,371, BA, A, replacing Amy Krueger, 8/27/2018; David Duininck, SMS, eighth-grade English/language arts, $43,315, BA, D, replacing Sara Kimman, 8/27/2018; Jennifer Euteneuer, ORE, SPED, $75,447, MA30, P, replacing Lisa Kent, 8/27/2018; Joshua Halicke, SMS, junior high boys soccer, $2,439 (6.35 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Ruben Coliman, 8/27/2018; Amy Koltes, SMS, math, $43,315, BA, D, replacing Kerry Trnka, 8/27/2018; Jennifer Lessinger, SHS, social studies-targeted services, $32.50/hour, new position, 6/4/2018; Tiller Martin, SMS/SHS, orchestra and classroom music, $40,371, BA, A, replacing Paul Benson, 8/27/2018; Mary Pierce-Slocum, DSC-early childhood, ECSE, $61,119, BA30, N, replacing Katie Werle, 8/27/2018; Becky Pomeroy, SHS, junior varsity girls soccer, $3,649 (9.5 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Alaina Kne, 9/14/2018; Mary Raes, SHS, sign language interpreter, $25/hour, new position, 8/27/2018; Jacob Sailor, SHS, Summer Strength, $1,319 (3.35 percent), BA, A ($39,387), replacing Jarek Kunz, 6/4/2018; Sue Sathre, SHS, head girls swim, $5,503 (13 percent), BA, C ($42,334), replacing Dave Olson, 8/13/2018; Brad Scherer, SHS, social studies, $49,411, BA20, E, replacing David Miller, 8/27/2018; Megan Smallman, SHS, junior varsity girls soccer, $3,207 (8.35 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Elli Johnson, 9/14/2018; Jake Smith, SHS, Summer Strength, $1,255 (3.35 percent), BA, 0 ($37,473), new position, outside funded, 6/4/2018; Emily Torvik, SMS, seventh-grade English/language arts, $40,371, BA, A, updated wages, 8/27/2018.
New Employees – Pending Licensure:
Emily Gestach, SMS/SHS, social worker, $40,371, BA, A, replacing Stacy Boom, 8/27/18.
Leaves of Absence:
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by McCabe to APPROVE FUNDRAISER FOR SARTELL FOOTBALL TEAM GOLD CARD SALE (8/10/18-8/13/18). All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE THE 2018-2019 RESOLUTION FOR MEMBERSHIP IN THE MINNESOTA STATE HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES YASH HINDKA, ELIJAH LAWSON AND LAUREN LINDMEIER TO THE SARTELL-ST.STEPHEN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 748 SCHOOL BOARD FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE THE RENEWAL OF KEMPS DAIRY FOR MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS FOR THE 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Raden to APPROVE THE PRELIMINARY 2018-2019 BUDGET AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE PAY RATES IN THE AMOUNT OF $12.50/HOUR FOR GROUNDS-SUMMER SEASONAL EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2018. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Raden to APPROVE SUPERINTENDENT JEFF SCHWIEBERT’S ANNUAL APPRAISAL. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by McCabe to APPROVE THE FISCAL COMPLIANCE AND PROCEDURES MANUAL. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR LEAD-IN-WATER. Superintendent Schwiebert discussed the completed radon and lead-in-water testing. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Meeting – Monday July 16, 2018 – District Service Center @ 5 p.m.
- Committee assignments for 2018 were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 6:38 p.m. was made by McCabe and seconded by Kramer. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Pamela Raden, clerk
Publish: July 27, 2018