REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
FEB. 24, 2020
DISTRICT SERVICE CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:31 p.m. by Chair Jeremy Snoberger. Members present: Snoberger; Jason Nies, vice chair; Amanda Byrd, clerk; Patrick Marushin, treasurer; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Arrival post roll call: Pamela Raden, director, 7:04 p.m. Members absent: Lesa Kramer, director.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE THE AGENDA WITH THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS; remove item G from the Consent Agenda and add the Local Control Resolution as Action Item three. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Nies to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-F AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Jan. 27, 2020
Minutes of the board work session held on Feb. 19, 2020
b. Checks in the amount of $1,670,599.63 as presented:
General Fund 1,199,249.80
Food Service Fund 135,010.13
Transportation Fund 201,166.68
Community Service Fund 38,173.55
Capital Expenditure Fund 96,999.47
Check numbers 177653 – 177936
ACHs in the amount of $9,581.95 as presented:
General Fund 9,247.59
Food Service Fund 328.36
Community Service Fund 6.00
ACH numbers 192000139-192000162
Receipts in the amount of $3,875,999.22 as presented:
General Fund 2,582,159.96
Food Service Fund 239,334.86
Transportation Fund 91,019.56
Community Service Fund 123,784.85
Building Fund 5,504.17
Debt Service Fund 31,852.25
Internal Service Fund 9,111.19
Receipts 47139 – 47311
Wire transfers in the amount of $735,222.48 as presented:
General Fund 179,354.80
Food Service Fund 9,902.72
Transportation Fund 833.26
Community Service Fund 3,976.91
Capital Expenditure Fund 4,174.33
Debt Service Fund 536,980.46
Wire transfers 201900531-201900632
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $2,404,011.33 as presented:
Building Fund 2,404,011.33
Check numbers 600869 to 600907
c. Accept the following donations:
Electrolux, ISD #748, miscellaneous office supplies, general donation; Oak Ridge Elementary PTO, Oak Ridge Elementary, $1,750, donation for One District One Book.
d. Accept the resignation of Jennifer Ambrosier, SMS, accompanist, 2/18/20; Angela Seutter, PME, elementary teacher, 6/3/20. accept the retirement of Carol Brockman, SMS, fifth-grade teacher, 6/3/20; Peggy Fogarty, PME, first-grade teacher, 6/3/20; Tracy Steinhoff, ORE, speech language pathologist, 6/26/20; Susan Symanietz, SHS, FACS teacher, end of 2019-20 school year.
e. Approve AIPAC Resolution
f. Approve GCU Student Teacher Agreement Renewal
All in favor. Motion carried.
Student Representative Report: Courtney Snoberger, student representative
- Snoberger reported on happenings around the district. Oak Ridge is celebrating “I Love to Read” month with the challenge for students to read 220,000 minutes and staff to read 67,000 minutes in February. Oak Ridge and Pine Meadow will start the Music in Our Schools concerts in March with both fourth-grade concerts being held on March 5 and third-grade being held on March 10 at Oak Ridge and March 12 at Pine Meadow. Pine Meadow Bingo Night will be held on Feb. 27 and Oak Ridge Bingo Night will be held on March 13. Both elementary schools are hosting parent-teacher conferences this week. The High School’s student-run business, The Mill, has started selling Sabre apparel and coffee mugs designed and created by students in the art department. Metal plates are being designed to be used on the dedication wall near the entrance of the building. State competitions have started for winter sports. The dance team took first place in high kick and placed second in jazz and the gymnastics team placed second in team competition. The boys swim team and individual wrestlers are going to their state competitions at the end of this week. The musical will hold tryouts for this year’s spring musical.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported all interiors in the old high school are in the finishing stages with only paint and carpeting remaining. The first shipment of furniture will arrive by April 1 and a second shipment by April 17. The replacement skylight glass arrived and that project will start March 2. Bid documents should be ready by Friday for Riverview Intermediate with a pre-bid date of March 12, bids being due on March 26 and being approved at the April board meeting.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert reported on the importance of partnerships between the District and different community groups. A few of those partnerships include the following: the City of Sartell, which includes managing the Community Center, technology consulting and working together on fieldwork at Pinecone Central Park and St. Cloud Orthopedic Sports Field; the local Sapphires Gymnastics group and potential opportunities with the Youth Hockey associations. The High School will participate in the EPIC event at St. Cloud Technical and Community College Feb. 28 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and the board is welcome to attend if available.
ISD 748 e-Learning Report
- Director of Technology Kyle Breitkreutz gave an overview of the Minnesota State Statute on e-Learning and shared the process the District has undertaken to determine our path and related decision-making.
Minnesota Student Survey Results Report
- Marie Pangerl, District assessment coordinator and School Counselors Noel Meyer and Shannon Zinken reported on our local Minnesota Student Survey 2019 results.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
School Board Committee Report:
- Vice Chair Nies reported on the recent CIA meeting he attended on Feb. 18. Topics covered included new course offerings at the High School, a presentation on The Mill store and an e-Learning presentation.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE #1-25:
Dianne Amundson, Transportation, bus driver, $24.56/hour, 2 hours/day, midday route, additional route replacing Sherri Jaeger, 2/4/2020; Annabel Anderson, ORE, LTS para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 6.25 hours/day, new position, 3/4/2020; Kiaya Anderson, Early Childhood/ DSC, ECSE para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, Wednesday – 6 hours/day, Friday – 3 hours/day, new position, 2/24/2020; Kiaya Anderson, Early Childhood/ DSC, LTS para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, M/T/TH – 6 hours/day, Friday – 3 hours/day, new position, 2/24/2020; Lori Bell, SMS, LTS para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, new position, 2/19/20; Elizabeth Brylski, Early Childhood/ DSC, childcare attendant $15.27/hour, RIV, S3, M- 5.25 hours/day, additional hours due to staffing needs, 1/30/2020; Matt Darling, SMS, junior high track, $1,062 (4.5 percent), BA, G ($47,181), 50-percent contract, replacing Noel Meyer, 3/2/2020; Kacey Dougherty, Transportation, bus monitor, $17.76/hour, 1.75 hours/day, additional route replacing Dianne Amundson, 2/12/2020; Robert Dyer, SMS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Tracey Robak, 2/10/2020; Angie Hochhalter, PME, LTS para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 6.25 hours/day, new position, 2/3/2020; Sherri Jaeger, Transportation, bus driver, $24.56/hour, 8 hours/day, replacing Jane Schneider, 1/27/2020; Shirley Janu, SMS, LTS SPED, $191.45/day, replacing Carmen Peterson, 2/24/20-5/4/20; Eric Koplitz, SHS, ninth-grade baseball, $3,912 (9.5 percent), BA, A ($41,178), replacing Sam Jarnot, 3/16/2020; Kim Mitchell, SMS, eight-grade softball, $1,853 (4.5 percent), BA, A ($41,178), replacing Jacob Smith, 3/2/2020; Susan Oachs, Early Childhood/DSC, childcare attendant, M-F 1.25 hours/day, M/W/F 6 hours/day, T/TH 7 hours/day, change in schedule due to staffing needs, 1/30/2020; Julie Peabody, Transportation, bus monitor, $16.49/hour, 4.5 hours/day, additional assignment, new position, 3/2/2020; Josie Potrament, ORE, SPED, $43,024, BA, Step B, new position, 8/26/2020; Chris Schumer, SMS, seventh-grade baseball, $1,853 (4.5 percent), BA, A ($41,178), replacing Nathan Schultz, 3/2/2020; Irina Stene, SMS, accompanist, $16.82/hour, RV, S1, 5 hours/week, replacing Jennifer Ambrosier, 2/19/2020; Geralyn Stock, SMS, cashier, $15.58/hour, R1, S1, 3 hours/day, replacing Jill Peterson, 1/30/2020; Ronell Uran, RIS, administrative assistant, $29.83/hour, RVI, S7, 8 hours/day, 222 days/year, new position, 7/1/2020; Christina Voegele, SMS, teacher, $57,748, MA, Step F, returning from leave, 8/31/2020.
Leaves of Absence:
Sarah Garrigan, ORE, teacher, LOA, 2/27/20 – 3/11/20; Kristin Hanson, SMS, teacher, LOA, 5/18/20 – end of school year; Michelle Traut, ORE, para, LOA, 2/16/20-3/31/20.
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE REVISIONS TO POLICIES 414, 514, 524, 535, 614, 701.1, 707, 708 AND 806. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE RESOLUTION SUPPORTING LOCAL CONTROL. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Board Work Session – TBD – District Services Center @ 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Meeting – Monday, March 16 – District Services Center @ 6:30 p.m.
Official Review of Policies:
The Board had the official second reading of adoption of proposed policy 535.
The Board had the official first reading of revisions to policy 625.
Committee Assignments were reviewed.
The Board took a five-minute recess at 8:10 p.m. The meeting resumed at 8:15 p.m.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Byrd TO CLOSE THE MEETING FOR NEGOTIATIONS STRATEGY PURSUANT TO MINNESOTA STAT. 13D.03. All in favor. Motion carried. Business Services Director Joe Prom and Human Resources Director Bart Appleton were invited to join the discussion.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin at 8:29 p.m. TO OPEN THE MEETING. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 8:30 p.m. was made by Raden and seconded by Nies. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Amanda Byrd, clerk
Publish: April 3, 2020