REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
APRIL 15, 2019
CITY OF ST. STEPHEN CITY HALL
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:34 p.m. by Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies; Jeremy Snoberger, vice chair; Amanda Byrd, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Patrick Marushin, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: Pamela Raden, clerk.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
During the public-comment opportunity, Chad Krauel, 1219 Corrine Court, spoke on the topic of fourth-grade class size and not increasing them.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-D AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on March 18, 2019
Minutes of the board work session held on March 18, 2019
Minutes of the special school board meeting held on April 8, 2019
b. Checks in the amount of $1,648.987.00 as presented:
General Fund 1,387,740.41
Food Service Fund 99,469.06
Transportation Fund 90,439.00
Community Service Fund 29,593.26
Capital Expenditure Fund 24,435.57
Summer Rec Agency Fund 17,309.70
Check numbers 174934 – 175125
ACHs in the amount of $5,715.36 as presented:
General Fund 5,503.29
Food Service Fund 203.95
Community Service Fund 8.12
ACH numbers 181900064-181900084
Receipts in the amount of $4,481,796.28 as presented:
General Fund 4,106,621.78
Food Service Fund 235,748.28
Transportation Fund 13,142.96
Community Service Fund 109,570.94
Capital Expenditure Fund 6,827.07
Building Fund 7,135.25
Summer Rec Agency Fund 2,750.00
Receipts 45801 – 45921
Wire transfers in the amount of $7,779.73 as presented:
General Fund 1,902.78
Food Service Fund 4,815.70
Community Service Fund 1,061.25
Wire transfers 201800062-201800067
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $2,786,821.01 as presented:
Building Fund 2,786,821.01
Check numbers 600503 to 600528
c. Accept the following donations:
Marie Pangerl, Pine Meadow Elementary, 279 books, leveled books for library; Pamela A. Raden, Sabre Golf Program, $1,000, donation to Sabre Golf Program in memory of Scott Raden.
d. Accept the resignation of Jason Johnson, SMS, lead custodian, 3/29/19; Mary Pierce-Slocum, Early Childhood/DSC, Early Childhood special-education teacher, end of 18-19 school year; Leah Saldana, ORE, food service worker, 4/14/19; Kurt Stumpf, SMS, principal, 6/30/19.
Student Representative Report: Lauren Lindmeier, student representative
- Lindmeier reported on happenings around the district. Pine Meadow students will take the MCA reading and math tests. Pine Meadow and Oak Ridge Music in our School concerts are wrapping up. The Middle School concert season has started and the jazz concert will be on May 2. Fifth-grade students will participate in Battle of the Books and host a Math Master’s contest. At the high school, student council and NHS sent 14 students to their conventions and NHS inducted 24 new inductees. Winter activities are coming to a close with Knowledge Bowl taking second at state; three Speech students also participated at state. Spring activities have started with the musical “The Music Man” being performed on April 25, 26 and 27.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported the gymnasium flooring is all down and will be completed May 2. The music cabinets are in, administrative and special-education areas need doors and glass work in order to be complete. Theater drywall is complete and seat counts are being finalized. The kitchen is all tiled with equipment starting to arrive today. Bids will be received tomorrow for the current high school being transformed into the middle school.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert reported with the current snow makeup day plan in place there is no additional plan to makeup the weather day from April 11. A public apology was made to the fourth-grade staff from an earlier meeting with the teams regarding the budget-reduction process. There were some misunderstandings during the discussions and we are very hopeful to gain six more fourth-grade students.
PreK-K Early Learning Center and Grades 1-2 Site Designation Report:
- Pine Meadow Elementary Principal Sara Nelson and Oak Ridge Elementary Principal Kip Lynk presented on the PreK-K Early Learning Center and Grades 1-2 Site Designation.
School Board Committee Report:
- No reports.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE #1-11:
Rachel Breitkreutz, ORE, physical education, $68,079, MA 30, Step K, replacing Don Dockendorf, 8/26/2019; Todd Frank, ORE, SPED para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 6.25 hours/day, new position, 4/8/2019; Kristina Leppenan, Sartell Community Center, youth program coordinator, $23/hour, 260 days/year, replacing Jina Schoenborn, 4/1/2019; Leah Mockenhaupt, SMS, vocal music, $42,334, BA, Step C, replacing Kara Rysavy, August 2019; Joe Schulte, SHS, assistant clay target, $864 (2.25 percent), BA, 0 ($38,410), replacing Ben Hoffman, 4/6/2019; Beverly Wiebe, SMS, lead custodian, $21.68/hour, RIV, Step 4, replacing Jason Johnson, 4/8/2019.
New Employees – Pending Licensure:
Joseph Vanek, SHS, FACS teacher, $40,371, BA, Step A, replacing Mary Hille, August 2019.
Leaves of Absence:
Kelly Hanson, SMS/Transportation, cashier/bus driver, LOA, 4/10/19-5/13/19; Dorothy Karls, SMS/Transportation, food service worker/bus driver, LOA, 4/1/19 – 5/31/19 (intermittent leave); Tara Krupke, PME, teacher, LOA, 4/9/19-4/18/19; Kristina Peterson, PME, para, LOA, 3/22/19-5/31/19 (intermittent leave).
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE BOYS LACROSSE TEAM FUNDRAISER AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE POTENTIAL 3-5 INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL NAMES FOR COMMUNITY VOTE. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE BUDGET REDUCTION RECOMMENDATIONS AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
Official Review of Policies:
The Board had the official review of policies: 605, 606, 608, 609 and 905.
The Board had the first reading of revisions of policies: 601, 602, 603, 604 and 607.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Work Session – Monday, May 6 at District Service Center – 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Meeting – Monday, May 20 at Sartell High School Media Center – 6:30 p.m.
Committee assignments were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 7:21 p.m. was made by Snoberger and seconded by Marushin. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Amanda Byrd, Treasurer
Publish: May 31, 2019
Author: Janelle Von Pinnon
Von Pinnon has been publishing the St. Joseph Newsleader since 1989, the Sartell-St. Stephen Newsleader since 1995 and the Sauk Rapids-Rice Newsleader since 2015. She graduated from Minnesota State University-Moorhead with degrees in mass communications (with an emphasis on print journalism) and biology. She lives in southeast St. Cloud with her husband and two children.