REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
AUG. 17, 2020
SARTELL MIDDLE SCHOOL PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 5 p.m. by Chair Jeremy Snoberger. Members present: Snoberger, chair; Jason Nies, vice chair; Amanda Byrd, clerk; Patrick Marushin, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Pamela Raden, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Nies to APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
During the public comment opportunity, Eva Hesse, 807 First Ave. N.; Mike Chisum, 900 Celebration Circle; Kristen Petersen, 827 Ninth Ave. N.; Taryn Gentile, 1067 Lawrence Circle; Kim Thyen-Nies, 310 Seventh Ave. S.; Summbla Anjum, 1609 Blackberry Circle, all spoke in support of the equity audit proposal that did not pass at the Aug. 5 school board meeting.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A.4.a-A.4.d AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
A.4.a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on July 20, 2020
Minutes of the special school board meeting held on Aug. 5, 2020
A.4.b. Checks in the amount of $927,995.46 as presented:
General Fund 688,113.72
Food Service Fund 2,676.80
Transportation Fund 28,175.48
Community Service Fund 7,207.02
Capital Expenditure Fund 199,358.31
Summer Rec Agency Fund 62.63
Activity Accounts 2,401.50
Check numbers 179034 – 179173
ACHs in the amount of $1,478.06 as presented:
General Fund 1,058.29
Community Service Fund 247.88
Activity Fund 171.89
ACH numbers 202000003-202000011
Receipts in the amount of $1,918,744.71 as presented:
General Fund 1,060,940.65
Food Service Fund 84,455.00
Community Service Fund 13,075.16
Capital Expenditure Fund 500,000.00
Building Fund 812.84
Debt Service Fund 248,635.88
Activity Fund 2,401.50
Internal Service Fund 8,423.68
Receipts 47804 – 47879
Wire transfers in the amount of $507,773.50 as presented:
General Fund 33,603.52
Food Service Fund 27,127.13
Transportation Fund 300.60
Community Service Fund 3,968.26
Capital Expenditure Fund 8,175.95
Debt Service Fund 2,385.00
Internal Service Fund 432,213.04
Wire transfers 202000032-202000074
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $1,688,319.94 as presented:
Building Fund 1,688,319.94
Check numbers 601057 to 601093
A.4.c. Accept the following donations:
Mark and Kim Doman Endowed Fund of Central Minnesota Community Foundation, Sartell Middle School, $1,000, general remodeling of old high school.
A.4.d. Accept the resignation of Annabelle Anderson, ORELC, Para, 8/4/20; Rochelle Dyer, SMS, eighth-grade social studies, 7/21/20; Kristen Kloskin, PMPS, Para, 7/23/20; Ed Krafnik, SMS, Para, 8/5/20; Jayme Steinbach, DSC, food service director, 8/21/20.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported on the Riverview Intermediate renovation project. The steam lab is essentially complete with only minor items still unfinished. The gymnastics area will be finished and cleaning will begin. A punch-list should be completed this month as the project is wrapping up.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, Superintendent
- Superintendent Schwiebert thanked everyone who spoke during the public comment opportunity earlier in the meeting and reported on the status of the building reconfiguration. All classroom items have been moved two to three times in finalizing the building reconfiguration. The Riverview Intermediate project is the furthest behind. This is due to a delay in shipping on new lockers and a leak in the roof from the storm this past weekend. The building does not currently have air conditioning, but had a new air recirculation system installed which included an ionization enhancement. The Middle School project is complete and the building is begging for students to return. Four members of the community filed for three school board seats for the November election. The candidates are the following: Jason Nies, Taryn Gentile, Matthew Moehrle and Patricia Meling.
District Finance Report:
- Director of Business Services Joe Prom provided an update on district finances.
Educational Equity Report:
- Chairperson Jeremy Snoberger presented an update on educational equity in the district and the process of rebuilding the multicultural committee.
School Board Committee Report:
- Treasurer Patrick Marushin reported on the policy committee meeting held on Wednesday, Aug. 12. The committee reviewed the policies in the meeting’s agenda along with policy 102 – Equal Educational Opportunity.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE #1-11:
Richeal Deming, Transportation, bus driver, $23.75/hour, new position, 8/31/2020; Allison Eikmeier, DSC, assistant food service director, $45,000, replacing Shelby Tanner, 8/10/2020; Michael Knight, SMS, eighth-grade social studies, $40,002, BA, Step A, replacing Rochelle Dyer, 8/26/2020; Charles Kuklok, RIS, custodian, $17.61/hour, RIII, Step 1, 8 hours/day, 260 days/year, replacing Burton Ramsey, 8/3/2020; Judith Landen, SFX, Title I Services – St. Francis Xavier, $28.85/hour, BA, Step A, 77 hours, new position, 9/8/2020; Shelby Tanner, DSC, food service director, $75,000, .9 FTE, replacing Jayme Ericson, 7/1/2020; Luke Thorn, DSC, Level I – information technology, $19.05/hour, 8 hours/day, 174 days/year, new position, 8/28/2020; Kristi Tomczyk, SHS, ninth-grade soccer coach, $3,878 (8.35 percent), BA, Step C, $44,045, replacing Eric Koplitz, 8/17/2020.
Leaves of Absence:
Bahaa Kadhem, SMS, lead dustodian, LOA, 7/30/20-8/24/20, Brittney Schoephoerster, RIS, assistant principal, LOA, 11/5/20-1/4/21, Kerry Trnka, SHS, math teacher, LOA, 9/25/20-1/4/21,
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Nies to APPROVE TRUTH IN TAXATION (TNT) TENTATIVE HEARING DATE FOR DEC. 21, 2020, AT 6 P.M. LOCATED AT SARTELL HIGH SCHOOL. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Nies TO APPROVE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR REOPENING PLAN RESOLUTION TO START IN LEVEL TWO AND INCLUDE IN-PERSON LEARNING FOR PRE-K-GRADE 5 AND HYBRID LEARNING FOR GRADES 6 THROUGH 12. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Byrd TO APPROVE EMERGENCY ADOPTION OF POLICY 808 – COVID-19 FACE COVERING POLICY. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Marushin TO APPROVE REVISIONS TO POLICY 522 – TITLE IX SEX NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY, GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE AND PROCESS. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Work Session – Wednesday, Sept. 2 – District Service Center @ 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Meeting – Monday, Sept. 21 – Sartell Middle School @ 6:30 p.m.
Official Review of Policies:
The Board had the official review of policy: 201, 202, 203, 203.1, 203.2, 203.5, 203.6, 204, 207 and 709.
The Board had the official first reading of revisions to policy 205 and 613.
The Board had the official first reading of adoption of proposed policy 630.
Letter from Sartell Youth Recreation Center thanking District for support of Athletic Complex Project.
Committee Assignments were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 6:05 p.m. was made by Nies and seconded by Raden. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Amanda Byrd, Clerk
Publish: Oct. 2, 2020
Author: Janelle Von Pinnon
Von Pinnon has been publishing the St. Joseph Newsleader since 1989, the Sartell-St. Stephen Newsleader since 1995 and the Sauk Rapids-Rice Newsleader since 2015. She graduated from Minnesota State University-Moorhead with degrees in mass communications (with an emphasis on print journalism) and biology. She lives in southeast St. Cloud with her husband and two children.