REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
JULY 16, 2018
DISTRICT SERVICE CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 5:03 p.m. by Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies, chair; Mary McCabe, vice chair; Pamela Raden, clerk; Jeremy Snoberger, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Patrick Marushin, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: None.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE THE AGENDA WITH THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS: remove Action Item C9 – Approve the official Sartell-St. Stephen Activities/Athletics logo suite from the agenda. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by McCabe to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-D AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on June 19, 2018
Minutes of the board work session held on July 11, 2018
b. Checks in the amount of $2,514,771.04 as presented:
General Fund 1,981,128.63
Food Service Fund 23,585.10
Transportation Fund 135,035.24
Community Service Fund 26,507.25
Capital Expenditure Fund 317,798.29
Scholarship Trust Fund 16,200.00
Summer Rec Agency Fund 14,516.53
Check numbers 172224 – 172486
Receipts in the amount of $4,846,710.27 as presented:
General Fund 2,851,140.70
Food Service Fund 107,534.92
Transportation Fund 393.56
Community Service Fund 100,824.35
Capital Expenditure Fund 22,587.79
Building Fund 12,199.29
Debt Service Fund 1,730,221.16
Summer Rec Agency Fund 21,808.50
Wire transfers in the amount of $2,559,723.60 as presented:
General Fund 33,206.32
Capital Expenditure Fund 12,725.00
Debt Service Fund 2,512,648.75
Summer Rec Agency Fund 1,143.53
Wire transfers 201700092 – 201700094 and 201800001-201800006
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $112,567.81 as presented:
Building Fund 112,567.81
Check number 600291-600292
c. Accept the resignation of Lorie Duevel, SHS, special education, 8/31/18; Corinne Lyon, ORE, kindergarten, 8/31/18; Jina Schoenborn, DSC, youth program coordinator, 7/25/18.
d. Accept the following donations:
Oak Ridge Elementary PTC, ORE, $4949.01, climbing wall.
Student Representative Report:
- No report.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported concrete work is 100cpercent complete on the second level and all concrete work should be close to complete by the end of August. Structural steel is nearing 100-percent completion on the main body of the building. Roofing is on pace to be 99 percent complete by the end of July, with the remaining 1 percent representing the activity storage areas. The irrigation system is 95 percent completed and the pump should be operational the first week of August.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert reported the Resource Training Membership was being approved with its payment in the check report at tonight’s meeting. The GeoComm program was briefly discussed and it should have a positive impact for the K-12 students. Pine Meadow has had the final new carpet which concluded building improvements, which included exterior wall rust removal and roof maintenance. Oak Ridge had its parking lot chip-sealed and curbing modified to accommodate safe snow removal. The Middle School’s rear access roads near the baseball and softball fields were paved today.
School Board Committee Report:
- Director Raden reported on the Communications Committee meeting she attended. Highlights include the updated website, levy information and the brand refreshing.
Principal Evaluation Plan Report:
- High School Principal Brenda Steve and Middle School Principal Kurt Stumpf reported on a proposed Principal Evaluation Plan that would be put into effect for the 2018-19 school year.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE #1-7:
Kevin Argueta, SHS, assistance soccer, $3,289 (8.35 percent), BA, 00 ($39,394), replacing Matt Horning, 8/13/2018; Josh Bentley, DSC, school board secretary, $6,000, new position, 7/1/2017; Rachel Miller, SMS, instructional technology specialist, $52,563, MA, C, replacing Brad Scherer, 8/27/2018; Allison White, SMS, special education, $42,334, BA, C, replacing Alaina Anderson, 8/27/2018.
New Employees – Pending Licensure:
Hannah Carey, Early Childhood, pre-school/ECFE, $27.58/hour, BA, A, replacing Melissa Smith, 8/27/2018; Shirley Janu, SHS, FACS, $22,744, BA20, A, .5 FTE, new position, 8/27/2018; Michele Rogers, Early Childhood, early childhood coordinator, $78,369, MA30, R, replacing Sarah Funk, 7/1/2018.
Leaves of Absence:
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Snoberger and seconded by Raden to APPROVE THE CONTRACT WITH TROBEC’S SCHOOL BUS SERVICE INC. FOR TRANSPORTATION SERVICES AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE MEMBERSHIP DUES FOR MSBA FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE THE MEMBERSHIP FEE FOR SEE FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE THE REVISED SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 748 EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McCabe and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE CHANGES IN THE 2018-2019 PINE MEADOW ELEMENTARY, OAK RIDGE ELEMENTARY, SARTELL MIDDLE SCHOOL, SARTELL HIGH SCHOOL AND ACTIVITIES POLICY HANDBOOKS WITH EDITS. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Snoberger to APPROVE THE LONG-TERM FACILITY MAINTENANCE 10-YEAR EXPENDITURE APPLICATION. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by McCabe to APPROVE THE RESOLUTION RELATING TO REVOKING THE EXISTING REFERENDUM REVENUE AUTHORIZATION OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT, APPROVING A NEW AUTHORIZATION AND CALLING AN ELECTION THEREON. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Meeting – Monday Aug. 20, 2018 – District Service Center at 5 p.m.
- Committee assignments for 2018 were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 5:41 p.m. was made by Raden and seconded by Snoberger. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Pamela Raden, clerk
Publish: Aug. 24, 2018