REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
OCT. 19, 2020
SARTELL MIDDLE SCHOOL PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair Jeremy Snoberger. Members present: Snoberger; Jason Nies, vice chair; Amanda Byrd, clerk; Patrick Marushin, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Pamela Raden, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A.4.a-A.4.d AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
A.4.a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Sept. 21, 2020
Minutes of the school board listening session held on Oct. 7, 2020
A.4.b Checks in the amount of $3,748,908.19 as presented:
General Fund 2,790,403.35
Food Service Fund 124,094.01
Transportation Fund 164,376.01
Community Service Fund 42,006.03
Capital Expenditure Fund 217,857.77
Activity Accounts 3,176.98
Internal Service Fund 406,994.04
Check numbers 179455 – 179727
ACHs in the amount of $4,141.85 as presented:
General Fund 3,570.37
Transportation Fund 90.00
Activity Fund 481.48
ACH numbers 202000021-202000030
Receipts in the amount of $4,124,945.39 as presented:
General Fund 3,785,833.91
Food Service Fund 63,030.03
Transportation Fund 1,682.46
Community Service Fund 52,667.74
Capital Expenditure Fund 35,254.77
Building Fund 362.71
Debt Service Fund 159,153.09
Activity Accounts 19,385.00
Internal Service Fund 7,575.68
Receipts 47951 – 48067
Wire transfers in the amount of $1,103,709.44 as presented:
General Fund 290,016.73
Food Service Fund 7,345.30
Transportation Fund 2.71
Community Service Fund 1,012.39
Capital Expenditure Fund 5,494.00
Building Fund 22,618.97
Activity Accounts 83.50
Internal Service Fund 777,135.84
Wire transfers 202000139-202000190
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $217,927.21 as presented:
Building Fund 217,927.21
Check numbers 601133 to 601156
A.4.c Accept the following donations:
Blackberry Ridge Golf Course, Sartell High School, four class periods on the range/practice green and one nine-hole round for approximately 30 students, donation for Sartell High School Team Games class; Stephanie Johnson, ISD #748, $350 worth of masks, masks for students; United Way of Central Minnesota, ISD #748, $500, purchase school supplies.
A.4.d Accept the resignation of Stacey Hiltner, RIS, para, 10/16/20; Wyatt Gwost, transportation, bus driver, 10/23/20; deceased; Rustie Froemming, SHS, teacher, 9/16/20.
Student Representative Report:
- No report
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent
- Schwiebert reported the Sartell Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for a new award this year for the Sartell Education Professional of the Year to recognize a school district employee for their service. The St. Francis Independent School District 15 board chair has shared a draft letter to send to Gov. Tim Walz requesting more local control for future changes in learning models for each district. The board can review the letter to see if it is something our district would want to sign; Schwiebert sees no problems with the letter. Three scenarios for snow days were discussed; scenario one, all students in hybrid or in-person model would be a snow day for all; scenario two, all students in distance learning would be no snow day; scenario three, grades six through 12 in distance learning would be no snow day, grades preschool to fifth in hybrid or in-person would be snow day and the day would be made up at the end of the school year. Last, but not least, congratulations to Alice Colatrella who scored a perfect ACT score last spring.
District Finance Report:
- Director of Business Services Joe Prom provided an update on district finances.
- Superintendent Jeff Schwiebert and Director of Human Resources Krista Durrwachter provided an update on how the district is moving forward with COVID-19.
Certified Continuing Contract Staff Report:
- Director of Human Resources Krista Durrwachter reported on new continuing contract certified staff.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
School Board Committee Report:
- Director Lesa Kramer reported the next Substance Free Coalition meeting will be on Nov. 9 and will be virtual.
School Board Chair Report:
- School Board Chair Jeremy Snoberger reported some options to provide support for the teachers and express thanks to them for all they are experiencing during the pandemic.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Nies to APPROVE #1-28:
Julia Bjerke, ORELC, parent educator, $47.24/hour, MA30, Step I, 3 hours/week, 12 weeks, additional assignment, 9/28/2020; Danielle Borst, SMS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Kristine Schroers, 9/28/2020; Hannah Carey, ORELC, ECFE, $30.25/hour, BA, Step C, 6 hours/week, 12 weeks, additional assignment, 9/28/2020; Hannah Carey, ORELC, parent educator, $30.25/hour, BA, Step C, 6 hours/week, 12 weeks, additional assignment, 9/28/2020; Stacy Clitty, SHS, receptionist, $28.29, RV, S6, change in assignment, 9/28/2020; Amber Coons, ORELC, custodian, $21.02/hour, RIII, S4, 8 hours/day, replacing Julie Reder, 10/15/2020; Deborah Danell, District, special education clerk, $18.77/hour, RII, Step 1, new position – temporary, 10/2/2020; Krista Durrwachter, District, COVID coordinator, .15 FTE, $18,600, new position – temporary, 7/1/2020; Elizabeth Golden, RIS, food service worker, $15.89, R1, Step 1, 3 hours/day, new position, 9/18/2020; Brenda Holter, SHS, assistant volleyball, $4,669 (9.5 percent), BA, Step H ($49,145), replacing Montana Peters, 9/28/2020; Sydnee Holth, SMS, PT cleaner, $15.89/hour, RI, Step 1, 4 hours/day, 185 days/year, new position, 9/23/2020; Tiana Jestus, ORELC, cafeteria worker, $15.89/hour, RI, S1, 2.5 hours/day, new position, 9/30/2020; Abbey Kajer, ORELC, ECFE, $27.32/hour, BA, Step A, 9 hours/week, 12 weeks, additional assignment, 9/28/2020; Vicky Knickerbocker, PMPS, student supervisor, $13.87/hour, RI, S1, 2 hours/day, new position, 10/6/2020; Priscilla Lessard, SMS, food service worker, $16.89/hour, R1, S2, 2.5 hours/day, additional assignment – temporary, 9/22/2020; Lu McIlwain, SMS, receptionist, $18.77/hour, RII, S1, 8 hours/day, change in assignment, 10/5/2020; Marcus Oistad, SHS, ninth-grade football, $4,518 (10.5 percent), BA, Step B ($43,024), replacing Jacob Sailor, 9/28/2020; Cody Olson, SMS, seventh/eighth-grade activities and athletics, $945 (2.25 percent), BA, Step A ($42,002), replacing Helen Wilfhert, 8/31/2020; Julia Olson, Title I, St. Francis Xavier, $26.86/hour, BA, Step A ($42,002), replacing Judith Loudon, 10/21/2020; Julie Reder, RIS, head custodian, $20.95/hour, RVIII, S1, 8 hrs/day, replacing Mike Lashinski, 10/5/2020; Jake Sailor, SHS, strength and conditioning coordinator, $7,770 (18.5 percent), BA, A ($42,002), replacing Nick Peterson, 7/1/2020; Doreen Schmidt, SMS, administrative assistant, $23.26/hour, RVI, S2, 8 hours/day, 222 days/year, change in assignment, 10/5/2020; Hally Schmit, RIS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Kari Tuomi, 10/1/2020; Kelli Schramel, SMS, food service worker, $19.09/hour, RI, S5, 2.5 hours/day, additional assignment – temporary, 9/22/2020; Elena Stevens, SMS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Julie Schnettler, 9/28/2020; Sue Symanietz, ORELC, parent educator, $27.32/hour, BA, A ($42,002), 4 hours/week, 12 weeks, additional assignment, 9/28/2020; Sarah Zehowski, PMPS, cafeteria worker, $15.89/hour, RI, S1, new position, 10/5/2020.
Leaves of Absence:
Dorothy Ferguson, Transportation, van driver, LOA, 9/21/20-10/29/20.
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd TO APPROVE ADOPTION OF POLICY AND PROCEDURE 630 VIDEO MEDIA USE. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Nies TO APPROVE CLERICAL CONTRACT AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Nies TO APPROVE SUBSTITUTE STAFF RATE INCREASES AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Raden TO APPROVE KATE ELLIS, COURTNEY SNOBERGER AND SOPHIA SPECKHARD AS THE STUDENT SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVE FOR THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Special Meeting Election Canvass Meeting – Thursday, Nov. 12 – District Service Center Boardroom @ 7 a.m.
- Future Board Meeting – Monday, Nov. 16 – Sartell Middle School Performing Arts Center @ 6:30 p.m.
Committee Assignments were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 7:08 p.m. was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Amanda Byrd, clerk
Publish: Nov. 27, 2020