REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
FEB. 22, 2021
SARTELL HIGH SCHOOL
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:31 p.m. by Chair Jeremy Snoberger. Members present: Snoberger, chair; Jason Nies, vice chair; Amanda Byrd, clerk; Matt Moehrle, treasurer; Patrick Marushin, director; Tricia Meling, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Moehrle to APPROVE THE AGENDA WITH THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS: add Action Item C2 – Approve MSHSL BYLAWS CONSTITUTION and move report B.5 – District Finance Report to follow B.1 School Board Student Representative Report. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A.4.a – A.4.d AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
A.4.a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Jan. 25, 2021
Minutes of the school board work session held on Feb. 3, 2021
A.4.b Checks in the amount of $608,165.18 as presented:
General Fund 437,811.47
Food Service Fund 80,764.97
Transportation Fund 18,707.82
Community Service Fund 1,625.14
Capital Expenditure Fund 66,056.14
Activity Accounts 1,248.85
Internal Service Fund 1,950.79
Check numbers 180430 – 180609
ACHs in the amount of $3,025.64 as presented:
General Fund 1,667.77
Food Service Fund 271.93
Activity Accounts 1,085.94
ACH numbers 202000080-202000093
Receipts in the amount of $3,966,818.84 as presented:
General Fund 3,213,671.50
Food Service Fund 121,327.67
Transportation Fund 8,685.61
Community Service Fund 40,022.10
Capital Expenditure Fund 482,721.64
Building Fund 163.57
Debt Service Fund 80,932.29
Activity Accounts 6,290.00
Internal Service Fund 13,004.46
Receipts 48371 – 48477
Wire transfers in the amount of $1,508,354.92 as presented:
General Fund 1,142,016.34
Food Service Fund 40,994.74
Transportation Fund 19,106.82
Community Service Fund 25,686.90
Capital Expenditure Fund 2,661.84
Building Fund 1,320.16
Activity Accounts 566.35
Internal Service Fund 276,001.77
Wire transfers 202000364-202000428
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $415.85 as presented:
Building Fund 415.85
Check number 601204
A.4.c Accept the following donations: Sartell Sabre Dance Team Booster Club, ISD #748, $11,020, donation for outside-funded coaches.
A.4.d Accept the resignation of Meghan Hennagir, RIS, custodian, 2/24/21; Sue Kloetzer, PMPS, cashier, 2/19/21; June Krone, RIS, food service worker, 2/22/21; Jeff Rutten, ORELC, part-time cleaner, 3/19/21; Amanda Semega, SMS, student supervisor, 2/1/21. Release of Employment of McKenzie Lyon, ORELC, para, 2/16/21. Accept the retirement of Elizabeth Anderson, PMPS, first grade, 6/4/21; Dave Olson, SHS, fifth grade, 2/16/21; Deb Rollings, SHS, art, 6/4/21.
Student Representative Report:
- Student Representative Kate Ellis reported on happenings around the district. Oak Ridge students participated in the global day of play on Feb. 3 and have been demonstrating good mask wearing and hand washing during in-person learning. Registration for next year’s kindergarten class is on-going with around 235 already registered. Pine Meadow and Riverview multilingual learners held a very successful fundraiser collecting more than 3,000 socks, hats and mittens. Music in our Schools will be occurring virtually in March this year. Middle School students have adjusted very well to the return of full in-person learning, with conferences being completed successfully via Zoom. Students are being recognized as Sabre Strong through the PBIS initiative. High School students have also adjusted well to the return to in-person learning and teachers have adjusted to offer support for students’ in-person and distance. Students had a successful registration for classes for the 2021-22 school year. The dance team won two conference championships this past weekend, the Math League team qualified for the state tournament and the Mock Trial team placed first at their recent virtual meet. The SAFES program placed posters around the building educating students about Black History Month. NHS raised more than $300 with their Valentine’s Day fundraiser and Student Council will be holding a virtual talent show.
District Finance Report:
- Director of Business Services Joe Prom provided an update on district finances.
Riverview New Learning Spaces Report:
- Principal Zach Dingmann, Physical Education Teachers Rachel Breitkreutz and Mitchell Keeler, STEM Education Teacher Brennan Rath and Instructional Technology Specialist Paul Moe reported on how the renovated areas have been transformed into dynamic teaching and learning spaces which have engaged students in new and exciting ways.
School Exec Connect Report:
- Vice Chair Nies reported on the upcoming timeline for the Superintendent search.
- Superintendent Schwiebert thanked the custodial staff for helping keep the buildings and boilers operating during the extreme cold weather last week. Staffing is being discussed and planned for the 2021-22 school year. Kindergarten through eighth grade has been planned based on feedback from the board, with more focus on social emotional needs. Class sizes are being planned to return to pre-pandemic levels. The changes will result in an increase of about two-and-a-half FTEs. High School staffing will be forthcoming, as data will be collected from registration night to determine needs. There will be an Outreach Committee meeting with Sartell City Council after the March 15 regular school board meeting.
- Superintendent Schwiebert and Director of Human Resources Krista Durrwachter provided an update on how the district is moving forward with COVID-19.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
School Board Committee Report:
- Director Meling reported on the Curriculum, Instruction and Advisory committee meeting she attended.
- Director Marushin reported the Special Education Advisory meeting is occurring during tonight’s meeting. He will receive and report a summary at the March regular school board meeting.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE #1-14:
Molly Emslander, PMPS, AM cashier, $19.09/hour, R1, S5, 1 hour/day, replacing Sue Kloetzer, 2/22/2021; Triscia Evenson, SMS, food service, $15.89/hour, RI, S1, 3 hours/day, replacing Jodi Hennemann, 2/8/2021; Autumn Fosteson, SHS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, new position, 2/11/2021; Mikayla Gessell, SHS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, new position, 2/16/2021; Nicole Nieman, Transportation, bus driver, $23.75/hour, 4.75 hours/day, replacing Richeal Deming, 2/8/2021; Amber Starr, RIS, food service, $15.89/hour, RI, S1, 3 hours/day, new position, 2/8/2021; Sarah Zehowski, PMPS, food service, $15.89/hour, RI, S1, 3 hours/day, replacing Sue Kloetzer, 2/8/2021; Sarah Zehowski, PMPS, cashier, $15.890/hour, R1, S1, 3 hours/day, replacing Sue Kloetzer, 2/22/2021.
Leaves of Absence:
Amanda Doll, SHS, teacher, LOA, 4/26/21-end of school year; Melissa Ferguson, SHS, teacher, LOA, 4/6/21-end of school year; Kaylee Johnson, ORELC, para, LOA, 4/5/21-end of school year; Peggy Kourajian, SMS, accompanist, LOA, 2/8/21-3/5/21; Jody Schave, SHS, custodian, LOA, 2/8/21-3/8/21; Janice Sweeter, SMS, head cook, LOA, 3/11/21-5/6/21.
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Moehrle and seconded by Meling TO APPROVE MSHSL BYLAW CONSTITUTION AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Special Board Meeting – Monday, March 1, 2021 @ District Service Center – 6:30 p.m.
- Future Regular Board Meeting – Monday, March 15, 2021 @ Sartell High School – 6:30 p.m.
Committee Assignments were reviewed.
- Treasurer Moehrle reported on a recent bulletin from (SEE) Schools for Equity in Education.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 7:42 p.m. was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Amanda Byrd, clerk
Publish: March 19, 2021