REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
JAN. 25, 2021
SARTELL HIGH SCHOOL
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Vice Chair Jason Nies. Members present: Nies; Amanda Byrd, clerk; Matt Moehrle, treasurer; Patrick Marushin, director; Tricia Meling, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members present via teleconference: Jeremy Snoberger, chair. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Meling and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE THE AGENDA AS PRESENTED. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A.4.a – A.4.d AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
A.4.a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Dec. 21, 2020
Minutes of the organizational meeting/work session held on Jan. 4, 2021
A.4.b Checks in the amount of $3,118,994.71 as presented:
General Fund 2,769,348.11
Food Service Fund 92,383.06
Transportation Fund 174,695.00
Community Service Fund 42,522.71
Capital Expenditure Fund 39,234.10
Activity Accounts 548.97
Internal Service Fund 262.76
Check numbers 180226 – 180429
ACHs in the amount of $2,024.33 as presented:
General Fund 2,024.33
ACH numbers 202000069-202000079
Receipts in the amount of $4,786,828.30 as presented:
General Fund 4,350,565.82
Food Service Fund 122,836.91
Community Service Fund 84,974.87
Building Fund 105.42
Debt Service Fund 211,394.47
Activity Accounts 2,550.00
Internal Service Fund 14,400.81
Receipts 48281 – 48370
Wire transfers in the amount of $6,186,791.18 as presented:
General Fund 89,312.69
Food Service Fund 7,775.18
Transportation Fund 86.46
Community Service Fund 394.99
Capital Expenditure Fund 66,475.00
Building Fund 14,681.42
Debt Service Fund 5,536,070.00
Activity Accounts 2,585.94
Internal Service Fund 469,409.50
Wire transfers 202000309-202000363
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $38,703.31 as presented:
Building Fund 38,703.31
Check numbers 601201 to 601203
A.4.c Accept the following donations:
Sartell-St. Stephen Education Foundation, ISD #748, $12,720.00, SSEF grants rounds 2 and 3; Wee Trees, Richard and Rosie Warzecha, Pine Meadow Elementary, $150.00, general donation.
A.4.d Accept the resignation of Tiana Jestus, ORELC, cafeteria worker, 1/25/21 and Rachel Rhines, SMS, para, 1/6/21.
Student Representative Report:
- Student Representative Courtney Snoberger reported on happenings around the district. Oak Ridge is having a virtual preschool/ECFE information meeting for families tonight and will host a virtual kindergarten meeting on Feb. 1. Pine Meadow students are working on winter benchmark assessments and planning for the “day of play” on Feb. 3. Second-grade students will be voting on the top 10 picture books read to them for Star of the North awards. Riverview teachers and staff have been reviewing student expectations as students transition back to in-person. The first gymnastics meet was held in the newly built gymnastics area and conferences will be held virtually next in February. The Middle school is focusing on their benchmark standards and preparing for virtual conferences in February. The High School started second semester, which felt like it was a brand new school year. Exactly 160 students took part in the distance learning support session offered on Jan. 15. Students have been given additional SA time during the week, which has been liked by many. Teachers have had their second equity training and the SAFES program presented on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Registration for next year’s classes will be held on Feb. 11 and 12.
School Exec Connect Report:
- Ken Dragseth and Bob Ostlund of School Exec Connect presented an update on the Superintendent search.
- Superintendent Jeff Schwiebert started by thanking CentraCare for the donation of 375 vaccinations for staff, this was in addition to the earlier ones received from the State of Minnesota. The last step in the building component of the new High School site will be the extension of the road from 13th Avenue along the west end of the school property. The District is responsible for 1,100 feet of the road. MSBA held their conference virtually this year, with the most recent session discussing the MSHSL’s role during the pandemic. Gov. Tim Walz released his “Due North” education plan at the start of the legislative session.
District Finance Report:
- Director of Business Services Joe Prom provided an update on district finances.
- Superintendent Schwiebert and Director of Human Resources Krista Durrwachter provided an update on how the district is moving forward with COVID-19.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
Professional Development Report:
- Assistant Superintendent Kay Nelson reported on the professional development day held on Jan. 22, 2021.
School Board Committee Report:
- Clerk Bryd and Director Marushin reported on the MSBA virtual conference they attended.
- Director Meling reported on the recent Sartell Senior Connection meeting.
A motion was made by Byrd and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE #1-23:
Neil Anderson, RIS, custodian, $17.61/hour, RIII, S1, 8 hours/day, 260 days/year, replacing Bethany Calhoun, 1/25/2021; Char Becker, ORELC, para, $21.87/hour, RIV, S6, 6.5 hours/day, new position, 1/11/2021; Bethany Calhoun, SHS, part-time cleaner, $16.89/hour, RI, S2, 4 hours/day, 185 days/year, returning to previous position, 12/17/2020; Lauren Cruze, ORELC, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 3 hours/day, M/W/F, new position, 1/11/2021; Londa Cruze, ORELC, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 3 hours/day, new position, 1/11/2021; Maria Davis, RIS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Julith Diethelm, 1/18/2021; Chris Durden, SHS, LTS – Math, $229.52/day, BA, Step A ($42,002), replacing Kerry Trnka, 1/22/2021; Steven Gregory, ORELC, lead custodian, $18.96/hour, RIV, S1, 8 hours/day, 260 days/year, replacing Bev Wiebe, 1/13/2021; Mitchell Keeler, SMS, wrestling coach (outside funded), $2,667 (6.35 percent), BA, Step A ($42,002), new position, 1/4/2021; Daniel Marod, RIS, LTS – Para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Kayla Vadnais, 1/12/2021; Hannah McKeag, SHS, boys swim, $3,990 (9.5 percent), BA, Step A ($42,2002), replacing Chris Campbell, 1/4/2021; Maya Murphy, PMPS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 6.25 hours/day, replacing Char Becker, 1/12/2021; John Ross, SHS, business education, $27,176, MA30, Step R ($81,535), .3333 FTE, replacing Rustie Froemming, 1/25/2021; Ronell Uran, SMS, winter activities supervision, $945 (2.25 percent), BA, A ($42,002), replacing Cody Olson, 1/20/2021; Molly Vogt, St. Francis Xavier, Title I, $28.69/hour, BA, Step A ($42,002), replacing Julie Olson, 1/21/2021; Isaiah Wallace, SMS, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 7 hours/day, replacing Judy Beck, 1/25/2021; Lyndsey Welch, SMS, boys’ swim coach, $2,667 (6.35 percent), BA, Step A ($42,002), replacing Jennifer Thompson, 1/4/2021; Beverly Wiebe, RIS, lead custodian, $24.76/hour, RIV, S6, 8 hours/day, 260 days/year, replacing Burton Ramsey, 1/11/2021.
Leaves of Absence:
Dianne Amundson, Transportation, bus driver, LOA, 1/11/21-2/8/21; Stacy Clitty, SHS, receptionist, LOA, 1/11/21-2/19/21 (intermittent); June Krone, RIS, food service worker, LOA, 1/1/21-3/1/21; Jody Schave, RIS, custodian, LOA, 1/11/21-2/8/21; Kerry Trnka, SHS, teacher, LOA, 1/25/21-end of school year.
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Meling and seconded by Byrd TO APPROVE SARTELL AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERSHIP. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Moehrle and seconded by Marushin TO APPROVE ST. CLOUD AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERSHIP. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Byrd and seconded by Moehrle TO APPROVE THE 2021-2022 SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN SCHOOL DISTRICT CALENDAR. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Byrd and seconded by Marushin TO APPROVE REVISIONS TO POLICIES 415, 616, 806 AND 206 WITH THE CHANGE OF HIS OR HER TO THEIR ON PAGE 206-4. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Future Board Work Session – Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021 @ District Service Center – 6 p.m.
- Future Regular Board Meeting – Monday, Feb. 22, 2021 @ Sartell High School – 6:30 p.m.
Committee Assignments were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOUTN THE MEETING AT 8:36 p.m. was made by Marushin and seconded by Moehrle. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s Amanda Byrd, clerk
Publish: March 5, 2021