School Board Candidate: Dan Goetz
Name: Dan Goetz
Family: Wife LeAnn; daughters Madeline, 11; Zoe, 8; and son Gavin, 17 months.
1. Please share relevant background and experiences:
I have been an active volunteer in the Satrell-St. Stephen schools for seven years. Also, I was co-president of the Pine Meadow Elementary School’s Parent-Teacher Organization for two years. I work as the store manager for Aeropostale, and I have been managing employees for 17 years.
2. What, in your opinion, is the major issue facing the school district?
Maintaining and improving student achievement, giving the students the very best opportunity to succeed when they move on.
3. How would you address that issue, if elected?
Careful oversight of district funds, ensuring every dollar is spent with the question being asked “How will this affect the students’ outcome?”
4. If the school district is forced to make cuts, in which areas would you make the cuts?
I am afraid I cannot answer this question without careful and thoughtful scrutiny. I would first look for innefficiencies.
5. What are the top strengths and the most serious weaknesses in the district?
Strengths are the amazing teachers who strive for personal and professional improvement; a caring and decisive administration that sees how their business decisions affect so much more than numbers; and a community that takes pride in the schools and is willing to do what is necessary to support its schools and children.
Weakness: There is a perception the leadership is not cohesive and doesn’t listen well to the concerns of the community.
6. How do you feel about the introduction of advertising in school buildings by companies that give “perks” in exchange for those advertisements?
I am not a fan (of that), but if it became necessary, I would likely approve it.