REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 748
JAN. 27, 2020
DISTRICT SERVICE CENTER BOARD ROOM
The regular school board meeting of Independent School District 748 was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chair Jeremy Snoberger. Members present: Snoberger, chair; Jason Nies, vice chair; Amanda Byrd, clerk; Patrick Marushin, treasurer; Lesa Kramer, director; Pamela Raden, director; and Jeff Schwiebert, superintendent. Members absent: none.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE THE AGENDA WITH THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONS; add action item six approve construction management agreement; add to retirements Brenda Steve, principal. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE CONSENT ITEMS A-E AS PRESENTED BELOW. All in favor. Motion carried.
a. Minutes of the regular school board meeting held on Dec. 16, 2019
Minutes of the organizational meeting/work session held on Jan. 6, 2020
b. Checks in the amount of $3,050,431.19 as presented:
General Fund 2,615,569.08
Food Service Fund 154,609.13
Transportation Fund 115,056.56
Community Service Fund 61,759.45
Capital Expenditure Fund 92,303.34
Summer Rec Agency Fund 216.98
Internal Service Fund 10,916.65
Check numbers 177250 – 177652
ACHs in the amount of $7,063.89 as presented:
General Fund 6,973.81
Food Service Fund 90.08
ACH numbers 192000112-192000138
Receipts in the amount of $4,131,821.42 as presented:
General Fund 3,576,076.60
Food Service Fund 204,575.12
Community Service Fund 115,943.41
Building Fund 3,518.13
Debt Service Fund 231,708.16
Receipts 46984 – 47138
Wire transfers in the amount of $5,816,182.28 as presented:
General Fund 72,947.69
Food Service Fund 8,116.40
Transportation Fund 106.75
Community Service Fund 1,699.12
Capital Expenditure Fund 62,221.32
Building Fund 9,556.00
Debt Service Fund 5,661,535.00
Wire transfers 201900412-201900530
Building Fund Checks in the amount of $1,483,322.01 as presented:
Building Fund 1,483,322.01
Check numbers 600833 to 600868
c. Accept the following donations:
Choose Yes For Success Campaign, ISD #748, $135.50, general donation; Country Financial, Oak Ridge & Pine Meadow Elementary, $500, donation for Anti-Bullying Campaign; Oak Ridge Elementary PTO, Oak Ridge Elementary, $3,799.20; donation for library books; Pine Meadow Elementary PTO, Pine Meadow Elementary, $179.64, donation for classroom supplies; Pine Meadow Elementary PTO, Pine Meadow Elementary, $179.19, donation for classroom supplies; Pine Meadow Elementary PTO, Pine Meadow Elementary, $93.31, donation for classroom supplies; Sartell Sabre Dance Team Booster Club, Sartell High School, $7,953, donation for outside-funded dance coaches; Tyler and Sheena Thieschafer, Sartell Middle School, $1,000, donation for Special Education DCD; Wee Trees Richard and Rosie Warzecha, Pine Meadow Elementary, $150, general donation.
d. Accept the resignation of Kimberly J. Gerads, DSC-Early Childhood, child care attendant, 1/3/20; Kimberly M. Gerads, SHS, media aid, 12/20/19; Karissa Gould, DSC-Early Childhood, EC teacher, 1/30/20; Jill Peterson, SMS, cashier, 1/30/20; Tracey Robak, SMS, para, 2/7/20; Krista Sowada, DSC-Early Childhood, child care attendant, 1/3/20; Margaret Starry, District, sub food service worker, 1/6/20. Accept the retirement of Better Rogers, ORE, reading interventionist, 6/2/20; Jane Schneider, Transportation, bus driver, 1/20/20; Brenda Steve, SHS, principal, 9/28/20.
e. Accept Stearns County 2019 Food Safety Award.
All in favor. Motion carried.
- Architect David Leapaldt presented on renovation plans for Riverview Intermediate School.
Student Representative Report: Sam Brandt, student representative
- Brandt reported on happenings around the district. Oak Ridge is hosting a preschool registration night tonight and a kindergarten registration night tomorrow. February will be “I Love to Read” month. Pine Meadow Student Council is handing out positive behavior tickets to fellow students for being “In the Zone.” There was a math night last week and there will be a bingo night next week. The Middle School is having a spelling bee tonight and parent teacher conferences will be at the end of the week. Fifth- and sixth-grade students will able to participate in a math night on Feb. 4 and fifth-grade students will have an activity night on Feb. 7. High School students and staff moved to the new quarter this month and Sabre registration will occur this Friday for students. Student Council held the Winter Wonderland dance at Mulligans this year with more than 500 attendees. The One-Act Play will present “Princess Party Smackdown” on Feb. 21. Winter sports/activities are all in progress and the Jazz Swing Concert is tonight at 7 p.m.
Construction Manager Report on Building Process:
- Construction Manager Lee Gruen reported on the old High School/Middle School remodel. The project continues to go very well with concrete pouring starting next week, drywall finishing mid-February, flooring and painting finishing in March-April and roofing is continuing on schedule. The new skylight was received with some damage, but the company will ship a new one, expected to arrive mid-February and will not affect the timeline. Current Middle School staff received a tour of the site last Monday.
Superintendent Report: Jeff Schwiebert, Superintendent
- Schwiebert reported districtwide transition planning is continuing. Principal Nelson has been meeting with first- and second-grade teachers and Principal Dingmann has been meeting with third-, fourth- and fifth-grade teachers regarding next school year. Teacher rooms and assignments are tentatively planned to be revealed in early April prior to Spring Break and paraprofessional assignments will be later per union contract. Administration will be meeting Tuesday to discuss FTEs for next school year. Furniture orders should be arriving in the beginning of April for the old High School/Middle School. Transportation planning for next year is still being reviewed with some preliminary start and end times being discussed.
- Superintendent Schwiebert reported on the current enrollment numbers for each school.
School Board Committee Report:
- Treasurer Marushin reported on the policy committee meeting held last week. Annual and quarterly policies were reviewed and are on the agenda tonight, including policy 535 which is a new policy for adoption.
- Chair Snoberger reported on the Benton-Stearns meeting he attended where space was discussed.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE #1-19:
Rebekah Arnold, SHS, special education teacher, $20,013, BA, Step 1 ($41,178), .49 FTE, Stacy Kubesh, 1/20/2020; Joy Bemboom, SHS, assistant girls tennis, $3,247 (7.35%), BA, Step D ($44,181), replacing Rachel Breitkreutz, 8/17/2020; Gregory Bertrand, Early Childhood, ECSE para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 3 hours/day (T-F), new position, 1/6/2020; Gregory Bertrand, Early Childhood, preschool EC teacher, $28.13/hour, BA, Step A ($41,178), .21 FTE, replacing Karissa Gould, 1/13/2020; Elizabeth Brylski, Early Childhood, ECSE para, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 3 hrs/day (M-F), new position, 1/2/2020; Nate Dahl, SHS, Mock Trial, $540.75, BA, Step A ($41,178), replacing Sidney Vossler, 1/8/2020; Barbara Eaton, early childhood, ECSE teacher, $27,168, BA20, Step D ($49,397), .55 FTE, new position, 1/6/2020; Kimberly Helde, Early Childhood, school readiness/ECFE, $32.40/hour, BA, Step G ($47,181), .35 FTE, replacing Karissa Gould , 1/6/2020; Aubri Hill, PME, para, $16.42/hour, RIV, Step 1, 6.25 hours/day, new position, 1/6/2020; Kristine Gosch, SHS, receptionist, $18.77/hour, RII, Step 1, 8 hours/day, 202 days/year, replacing Barb Cooney, 1/10/2020; Esraa Kadhem, SHS, media aid, $16.42/hour, RIV, S1, 4.5 hours/day, replacing Kimberly Gerads, 1/14/2020; Kadie Mathews, PME, para, $17.68/hour, RIV, Step 2, 6.25 hours/day, new position, 1/2/2020; Jeff Rutten, ORE, PT cleaner, $15.58/hour, RI, S1, 4 hours/day, replacing Adam Abfalter, 1/13/2020; Krista Sowada, ORE, para, $16.42/hour, RI, S1, 6.25 hours/day, replacing Kimberly Helde, 1/6/2020.
Leaves of Absence:
David Gerads, ORE, custodian, LOA, 1/1/20-3/13/20; Michelle Traut, ORE, para, LOA, 1/27/20-2/15/20; Shannon Zinken, SMS, school counselor, LOA, 5/20/20-end of school year.
Rescind Leaves of Absence:
Carmen Peterson, SMS, SPED, Rescind LOA, 12/19/19-3/1/20; Joey Vanek, SHS, FACS, Rescind LOA, 1/20/20-6/30/20.
All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Nies and seconded by Kramer to APPROVE ST. CLOUD AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERSHIP. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Byrd and seconded by Marushin to APPROVE SARTELL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERSHIP. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Raden and seconded by Nies to APPROVE CALL FOR BIDS FOR RIVERVIEW INTERMEDIATE RENOVATION PROJECT. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Kramer and seconded by Raden to APPROVE A PUBLIC THANK YOU AND SUPPORT TO THE DONATION CAMPAIGN BY PAT LYNCH, GRANITE LOGISTICS AND SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN EDUCATION FOUNDATION. All in favor. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Marushin and seconded by Byrd to APPROVE CONSTRUCTION MANAGER AGREEMENT WITH BRADBURY STAMM CONSTRUCTION WINKELMAN LLC FOR THE RIVERVIEW INTERMEDIATE RENOVATION. All in favor. Motion carried.
Schedule Work Session and Committee Meetings:
- Board Work Session – Wednesday, Feb. 5 – District Services Center @ 6:30 p.m.
- Future Board Meeting – Monday Feb. 24 – District Services Center @ 6:30 p.m.
Official Review of Policies:
The Board had the official first reading of adoption of proposed policy 535.
The Board had the official review of policy: 410, 413, 415, 506, 522, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 710, 711, 712 and 714.
The Board had the first reading of revisions of policies: 414, 514, 524, 535 to 540, 614, 701.1, 707, 708 and 806.
Committee Assignments were reviewed.
A motion to ADJOURN THE MEETING AT 7:45 p.m. was made by Nies and seconded by Marushin. All in favor. Motion carried.
/s/ Amanda Byrd, Clerk
Publish: March 6, 2020